Home Remedy For Acid Reflux, Burping, Bloating and Indigestion
What to do if you suffer from nausea and belching
Belching after eating is a normal phenomenon that has happened to absolutely every person. Even in infancy, the baby swallows a small amount of air during the feeding process, which then comes out. In adulthood, this is normal if it occurs infrequently and after certain foods, such as sodas or fatty and heavy foods. But if the belching is accompanied by nausea and heaviness in the stomach, you should consult a doctor, especially if the uncomfortable condition recurs periodically.
Causes of the phenomenon
Even those who do not suffer from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract periodically experience the release of gas from the stomach after eating, which is not accompanied by any discomfort. Escaping gases may not smell or smell of food that the person has previously eaten.
The reasons may be as follows:
- Food in a hurry and dry;
- Active conversation while eating;
- Emotional stress;
- Frequent chewing of gum;
- Aerophagia, in which a person swallows more air during a meal than is necessary to regulate pressure in the stomach;
Most women complained of symptoms such as heartburn, nausea, belching of air and discomfort during pregnancy, but if the patient did not notice gastrointestinal diseases, these unpleasant phenomena will go away on their own, since they are caused by an enlargement of the uterus during pregnancy, as a result of which internal organs are strongly compressed, and acid is thrown into the esophagus.
Eating the following foods may cause gas production and subsequent belching of air:
- strong coffee or tea;
- carbonated drinks;
- ice cream and dairy products;
- fatty foods;
- dishes with lots of onions or garlic;
- legumes, which also cause severe flatulence.
Pathological causes of belching and nausea
If there is constant belching and nausea, accompanied by discomfort and pain in the epigastric or intestinal region, then this is a reason to seriously think about your health.
Pathological causes may be as follows:
- Gastritis in a chronic form, during an exacerbation there is pain in the stomach, nausea and belching of air with an unpleasant odor, as well as heaviness and heartburn;
- Peptic ulcer;
- Gallbladder problems, the main symptoms of which are bitterness in the mouth, nausea and belching;
- Acute pancreatitis, or inflammation of the pancreas, in which nausea and belching occurs after eating, often resulting in vomiting;
- Duodenitis, which is an inflammation of the mucous membrane of the duodenum;
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease associated with a malfunction of the muscle that closes the inlet of the stomach, the contents of which are thrown into the esophagus. This disease is characterized by heartburn, nausea, belching, heaviness in the stomach, gas.
- Cancer, which at first manifests itself as a common gastritis, should be especially carefully examined if there is frequent eructation with a sour or rotten smell, bloating is felt, then appetite decreases, the patient quickly eats a small amount of food.
In addition to causes related to the gastrointestinal tract, nausea, flatulence, belching, and discomfort after eating can be associated with the following problems:
- In case of disorders in blood circulation and work of the cardiovascular system, nausea occurs, which does not depend on food, shortness of breath and pain in the sternum;
- Changes in blood pressure are characterized by dizziness and nausea in the morning;
- Fast weight loss, constant fatigue, nausea after eating may indicate problems with the thyroid gland;
- An infectious disease causes nausea, which manifests itself in an hour and a half after eating, bitterness is felt in the mouth.
The following diseases cause sour belching:
- Peptic ulcer;
- High acidity, in which gastric juice is more concentrated than necessary;
- Gastric reflux, or discharge of the contents of the digestive organ into the esophagus;
A bitter belch occurs when:
- Gastroduodenal reflux, which causes bile to enter the stomach;
- Chronic duodenitis;
- Injuries or tumors that compress the duodenum;
- Gastric sphincter muscle excision surgeries;
- Taking muscle relaxants and drugs that relieve spasm.
Belching with the smell of acetone is typical for diabetes.
With severe vomiting against the background of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, drugs containing metoclopramide are usually prescribed, as well as enzymes and a special diet for the patient aimed at reducing the concentration of acid in the stomach. If the cause of this condition is poisoning, it is necessary to take enterosorbents and drink plenty of water.
In cases where the pathology cannot be cured with the use of a medicMentose therapy, surgery is necessary, for example, for appendicitis or stomach ulcers.
If the causes of discomfort lie in third-party diseases, then first of all, therapy should act on the root cause, for example, in case of disturbances in the work of the cardiovascular system, the main effect should be on the vessels or the heart, in case of problems with the thyroid gland, hormonal therapy should be prescribed and so on.
If a person does not have disturbances in the work of the gastrointestinal tract, then the following tips will help get rid of belching with air after eating:
- You shouldn't talk and rush while eating; you need to chew food thoroughly;
- After eating, do not engage in vigorous physical activity;
- If some foods are the main reason for heartburn, flatulence and heaviness after eating, then you should refuse them. This is especially true for soda and beer;
- Do not overeat, as in this case the unpleasant symptoms after eating will only intensify;
- Do not drink too strong and hot tea and coffee;
- It is better to remove fatty or too spicy dishes from the diet, they can provoke heartburn and heaviness;
- Under no circumstances should you consume foods that have passed the expiration date, this can cause not only heartburn and nausea, but also severe poisoning.
In the event that a person has followed these simple rules before, but he has pain, an unpleasant taste in the mouth, heartburn and other unpleasant symptoms for no apparent reason, you should definitely consult a doctor.
Only a careful attitude to one's own health will help get rid of unpleasant sensations in the stomach, which in no case should be ignored. Such a serious disease as stomach cancer, in the early stages, is almost asymptomatic and painless, so it is very difficult to notice it without regular examinations.
It is important to remember that even such small things as belching and nausea can indicate serious illness.