How to Tell If Your Cat Is Dying and What to Do
What to do if the kitten's eyes are constantly festering?
When a kitten lives with a mother cat, all the care of it falls on her. It is known that the saliva of animals has a bactericidal effect, therefore, in this way, the cat is cleansed and the appearance of infections is prevented.
When the baby is taken away from the family early, the problem of pus in the eyes may arise. To get rid and prevent this problem, you need to know why this happens, and what first aid should be provided.
Possible Causes festering eyes in cats
The appearance of a small amount of clear discharge in cats immediately after waking up is normal, it can also be the result of an allergic reaction to external stimuli or the cause of inflammation after an eye injury.
However, if such discharge is colored yellow or green, this already indicates the following diseases: toxoplasmosis, mycoplasmosis, herpes, hypothermia, conjunctivitis and even a violation of the outflow of tears. This discharge often causes the eyelids to stick together. In most cases, the problem lies in the development of conjunctivitis, the causes of this disease are different.
Let's take a closer look at this case and determine why cats' eyes fester:
- household chemicals that are used to clean the apartment and can get on the mucous membranes of the animal;
- the influence of decorative cosmetics, this includes perfumes and deodorants;
- the presence of bacteria and various parasites, which lead to the fact that the cat's eyes begin to fester;
- the presence of fungi, which can be invisible neighbors in any home, while causing big problems with the body;
- due to an allergic reaction to medication;
- the presence of a foreign body accidentally caught on the mucous membrane of the eye. If the animal does not manage to get rid of it with tears, inflammation may begin with prolonged presence;
- the presence of trauma that may cause the eyes to fester.
If your pet has systemic purulent discharge, it is recommended to contact a veterinary clinic.
Treatment of festering eyes in cats
If your pet's eyes begin to fester, first aid should be provided as soon as possible. The animal does not like this procedure very much, so it must be immobilized and its head supported.
When the eye is festering, to rinseprepare the following antibacterial composition:
- boric acid solution - 10 drops;
- 0.02% furacilin solution - 10 drops;
- decoction of chamomile and St. John's wort - 10 drops;
- eye drops Albucid - 10 drops;
- hygiene lotion Phytoelite - 10 drops.
All components are thoroughly mixed, and the resulting composition is drawn into a pipette. Then the liquid is dripped onto the eye, this should be done until the pus is completely cleared.
After rinsing under the eyelids, you must carefully apply tetracycline ointment. Before applying it, it is recommended to warm it up a little with warm hands for a more even distribution over the eyelid.
Other ways to clean up
We suggest you familiarize yourself with other methods of removing pus from the eyes.
- Treatment of the disease depends on the cause. If the diagnosis is conjunctivitis, it is necessary to choose the appropriate drug with the veterinarian. Most often, it is enough to use ointment and drops. In addition, with such a disease, it is recommended to treat two eyes at once. Eye drops are dripped onto the eye, holding the pipette at a distance of 2 cm. It is recommended to carry out these manipulations several times a day;
- If the eyes turn sour after being injured, the first thing to do is rinse. To do this, rub the eyes with gauze dipped in hydrogen peroxide from the inner corner to the outer corner. After the procedure, apply an antibacterial ointment;
- When the cat starts sneezing and there is discharge from the eyes, you should not panic. These can be symptoms of a cold that is easy to treat. The daily toilet should be carried out with the use of antiseptic drugs and herbal decoction. A mandatory rule is the selection of immunostimulating agents together with the veterinarian.
Now you know what to do if your cat has a festering eye. Such a problem does not accept amateur performance, therefore it is better to carry out all manipulations after consulting a doctor.
To prevent suppuration, it is recommended to observe the following rules:
- cats of some breeds need to be washed daily with decoctions of medicinal herbs or green tea;
- after walking outside, always examine the eyes and treat them with a furacilin solution;
- always carry out the necessary vaccinations. This will protect the kitten from infections and parasites;
- protect the animal from hypothermia. Even if minor symptoms appear, start treatment;
- avoid combing wounds and trim the fur around the eyes.
We hope that you have received complete information on how to treat a cat if his eyes fester. The presented rules will help maintain health and avoid subsequent unpleasant procedures associated with nagaaching.