Cancer Metastasis in the Bones - All Symptoms
What is the threat of a knee tumor?
A knee tumor is very unpleasant and annoying in itself. It restricts movement, causes a lot of inconvenience and brings discomfort to our lives. The reasons why knee tumors develop are different: it can be both diseases and injuries.
The process is accompanied by pain, redness of the skin, impaired mobility (it is impossible to fully bend and unbend the leg at the knee joint). Sometimes diseases of the vessels of the small pelvis lead to the fact that the sore leg swells below the knee level.
Causes of the disease
- Knee ligaments are damaged . Most often it is a rupture or sprain of the ligaments. The condition is accompanied by severe swelling, pain, and a feeling of instability. For example, injury to the anterior cruciate ligament is accompanied by severe pain and joint instability. The patient cannot step on the diseased limb, much less walk;
- Tendinitis , or tendon inflammation. Tendons (thick, dense fibers of connective tissue) attach the muscles to the bones. Tendon injury or inflammation is accompanied by intense pain on movement and severe swelling;
- Severe soft tissue edema develops with bursitis, or inflammation of the joint capsule. In addition to swelling, other signs of inflammation appear: redness of the skin and pain syndrome, especially intense during bending the leg;
- Swelling of the knees , accompanied by impaired walking and discomfort, appears when the patella is displaced. Sometimes the patient is unable to straighten the leg to the end or it happens with difficulty and is accompanied by increased pain syndrome;
- Bruise . With a bruise, the knee swells, the skin over it turns red. Any movement in the area of the sore knee is accompanied by pain syndrome.
- Rheumatoid arthritis . Disease with a chronic course, characterized by edema both at the time of activation of the process, and after it subsides;
- Osteoporosis . It is often a meteorological disease, usually characterized by edema and pain of varying severity. During movement, the affected joint hurts and the patient with osteoporosis is often worried about discomfort;
- Septic arthritis . An infectious inflammatory disease characterized by pain, edema, fever, hyperemia of the skin over the diseased joint;
- Gout . A chronic disease, during periods of exacerbation, is accompanied by edema, intense painful attack, redness. The gout attack lasts for several days, then gradually subsides.
The most common cause is a bruised knee. Moreover, edema after an injury can appear immediately or after a while.
After injury in muscles and ligamentsThe spasms that surround the knee joint create a spasm that interferes with the normal flow of blood and lymph. As a result, lymph and tissue fluid accumulate in the tissues, which outwardly looks like edema.
Swelling of the knee can be quite minor or reach large sizes (5-7 cm above the knee joint). Swelling of the knee in all cases is associated with an inflammatory process.
Different degrees of knee swelling occurs in the formation of meniscus cysts. Pain becomes a constant symptom that accompanies swelling. The pain is always localized over the joint area.
Cysts of the lateral parts of the joint (lateral) are more common. A characteristic feature is the appearance of maximum swelling when the leg is bent 60-70 degrees. When fully flexed, the swelling may not be noticeable.
If the meniscus is torn medially, then the typical sign will be a click when moving and relaxation of the meniscus ligaments.
In adolescents and adolescents, layering osteochondritis is often found. During the disease, local necrosis of the cartilage of the knee joint, the underlying bone, occurs. This leads to the formation of loose pieces of bone or cartilage in the joint cavity.
He swells, and physical activity is accompanied by pain. In addition, dissecting osteochondritis itself often leads to the development of arthritis.
In the cavity of the knee joints, free bodies are sometimes formed (articular mice), as a result of many reasons (with dissecting osteochondritis, osteoarthritis, fractures, synovial chondromatosis).
These fragments are also called arthremphitis, they often cause complete blockage of the joint followed by edema due to the accumulation of effusion in the joint capsule. In this case, they must be removed, more often by arthroscopic surgery.
Bursitis is often the cause of edema. There are 16 joint capsules around the knee joint. More often, inflammation affects the prepatellar bursa. This is due to a different type of work, when you have to spend a long time on your knees.
The lower-anterior part of the joint swells as a result of the accumulation of a large amount of synovial fluid due to the constant action of friction. Treatment consists in aspiration of the contents of the synovial bag, possibly the introduction of a steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (hydrocortisone).
If the disease is accompanied by a persistent course, surgical intervention is recommended, characterized by excision of this anatomical formation.
What to do if the knee is swollen? Before seeking medical help, everyone can carry out simple activities at home that will help reduce the intensity of the pain syndrome, and sometimes remove discomfort in the sore joint:
- First of all, if your knee is swollen and hurts continuously, try to hurtmaximum rest on the th leg, do not load the swollen knee joint. Repetitive movements of the same type are especially harmful. Light bruises, if the proper regimen is observed, disappear in 2-3 days;
- Ice can be applied to the knee joint area for a short time (15 minutes) to relieve swelling and pain. If ice is not at hand, any product from the freezer (a piece of meat, bags of semi-finished products) will do. This method should be done up to 4 times a day. Do not leave ice on the body for longer than the recommended time, as nerve fibers and skin are susceptible to its harmful effects. After two days, you can start the warming procedures. Before that, consult a specialist;
- The position of the leg, or rather the knee joint, is also important. You should not constantly lower it below the body. Get into a comfortable position with your leg above your heart. You can use a pillow or ottomans for this;
- Anti-inflammatory drugs. Patients often use ibuprofen and aspirin on their own. It is worth remembering that the use of such drugs immediately after injury may have the opposite effect, i.e. increase swelling;
- People who often encounter this problem can be advised to have horse chestnut flowers at home, from which a tincture is prepared to relieve the inflammatory process. 50 grams of raw materials are infused in half a liter of vodka for a week. The remedy is used for rubbing or when the pain syndrome increases;
- A simple compress from a mixture of alcohols (camphor, medical ethyl), iodine, analgin tablets (10 pieces are enough). The liquids are mixed in equal proportions, analgin tablets are dissolved in them and a compress is applied to the sore knee. Do not keep it for more than 30 minutes. After the procedure, wash your knee with water.
Unfortunately, with such a symptom as knee swelling, going to the doctor becomes inevitable. The listed methods are symptomatic, they will relieve pain syndrome only for a short time, but not eliminate the causes.
The doctor will conduct a detailed examination using the necessary diagnostic methods, one of which is ultrasound. Based on the results of the examination, the doctor will determine the further treatment tactics.