What causes breathlessness & heaviness just below the stomach area? - Dr. Sanjay Panicker
We treat heaviness in the stomach
The presence of nausea, belching, heaviness in the stomach are common signs of many diseases inherent in the digestive tract. Therefore, the treatment of symptoms should be under the supervision of a physician after identifying the cause of the discomfort.
Causes of abdominal discomfort
Discomfort in the epigastric region may appear as a result of insufficient functionality of the upper gastrointestinal tract.
Most often, a person experiences a feeling of fullness in the stomach as a result of heavy meals and excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages. The heaviness in the stomach after eating is often a sign of irritation of the organ mucosa. In this case, pain, bouts of vomiting and nausea join the uncomfortable sensations.
Smoking can become the cause of constant heaviness in the stomach. As a rule, smoking more than a pack of strong cigarettes during the day leads to irritation of the mucous membranes and stomach diseases.
Nausea, accompanied by heaviness, appears with dyspepsia. In addition, pathology leads to increased flatulence and early satiety.
However, heaviness in the stomach is not always a sign of illness. For example, such manifestations are characteristic of pregnancy. Forced changes in the functioning of the body and the growing fetus force the systems to adapt to the conditions. So, a change in the acidity of gastric juice can provoke toxicosis, which causes a feeling of heaviness.
But in most cases, constant belching, regular painful sensations, as well as a feeling of fullness in the stomach become the initial symptoms of pathologies such as cholelithiasis, an attack of acute appendicitis, intestinal obstruction, stomach ulcer.
Prevention and treatment of discomfort
If the heaviness and pain in the stomach continues for several days, you should consult a gastroenterologist. Most likely, FGDS (fibrogastroscopy) will be prescribed, which makes it possible to examine the esophagus, stomach and part of the duodenum. Based on the diagnostic results obtained, the doctor will prescribe pills and select other optimal methods of treatment.
The use of Mezim, Festal or Panzinorm brings relief. Nevertheless, you should not get carried away with taking pharmacological drugs without a doctor's prescription. The body quickly gets used to the intake of enzymes from the outside and stops producing its own. Thus, the relief will not last long, and further is treatedit will not take place with the appointment of more serious drugs.
You can also improve your condition with the help of preventive measures. You need to carefully consider your diet. You must use fractional meals . Prolonged fasting or overeating should be avoided.
It is better to get used to a certain daily routine and eat at the right time. This approach will facilitate the digestion process. Dinner should be at least 2 hours before bedtime. Every meal should be calm and unhurried. It is not recommended to seize stress. If you have dyspepsia, you need to give up smoking habits.
Taking pills for heaviness in the stomach will not give the desired effect if a person does not give up salty, sweet, pickled and smoked foods. Any food should be warm, as cold and too hot food irritates the mucous membrane.
You can reduce the discomfort by increasing physical activity. You should pay more attention to walking, running, playing sports, dancing or swimming.
Popular ways to combat discomfort
Treatment of heaviness in the stomach can be carried out using alternative methods. The easiest method to get rid of discomfort is to use an infusion from a pharmacy chamomile. You can use the cold or hot method.
It is recommended to cook (brew) hot infusion just before its use, the cold method is suitable for preparing the product for future use.
So, choose what suits you best:
- With the cold method 10 tsp. flowers are poured with 2 glasses of pre-boiled and cooled water. The infusion time is 8-10 hours. The product is filtered and drunk within 2 days in small portions;
- To prepare the infusion in a hot way, it is necessary to brew 1 tbsp with a glass of hot water. l. inflorescences. The infusion time should not exceed 15-20 minutes. The finished product is filtered and drunk before meals, 1/3 cup three times a day. It is not recommended to use steep boiling water for brewing, as it destroys chamazulene, the main healing substance contained in chamomile;
- Mix in 1 tsp. chamomile and tansy. The resulting mixture is ground to a powder state. Add 1 tbsp to the product. l. not chopped wormwood. The product is then mixed with natural honey to form a viscous mass from which small pills can be formed. Each pill is rolled into a ball of bread. You need to take the product 3-4 times a day;
- Mix the herb of yarrow, St. John's wort and calendula inflorescences in equal quantities. The mixture is brewed at the rate of 2 tbsp. l. for 1 liter of boiling water. Infuse the remedy for 15-30 minutes. Before meals, drink 1/2 glass of infusion at least 3 times during the day. It is recommended to carry outtreatment in courses from 1 to 3 months;
- In 1 glass of warm water, you need to dilute 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar, as well as 2 tsp. natural honey. Use the remedy three times a day before meals. With increased acidity of gastric juice, this recipe cannot be used;
- Use a coffee grinder to grind the buckwheat into powder. Every morning on an empty stomach, you should eat 1 tsp. powder. This method also has a positive effect on heartburn.
Naturally, you can use folk advice only after consulting a gastroenterologist and finding out the cause of the pathology, as well as in the absence of an allergic reaction to herbal ingredients.