sore throat vs peritonsillar abscess
We treat abscesses on the tonsils in a child
Whatever the reasons for the appearance of abscesses on the tonsils in a child, with or without fever, the condition would not be detected - this is a serious cause for concern.
The inflammatory process in the lymphoid tissue of the tonsils indicates the introduction of infection into the body - Pseudomonas aeruginosa, streptococci, staphylococci, fungus, herpes virus, etc. If you do not pay enough attention to this symptom, then in the future the infection will become chronic.
A chronic inflammatory process causes serious complications in the body - pyelonephritis, glomerulonephritis or chronic rheumatism - all these diseases are provoked by streptococcus, which lurking in the lymphoid tissue.
Often a sick baby will lag behind peers in physiological development.
Why are they often inflamed? tonsils with the manifestation of abscesses
The tonsils are lymphoid tissue, part of the body's immunological system. They protect the body from the introduction of dangerous strangers , like face control at the entrance to an entertainment establishment.
When the body is weakened, an infection enters it, but the tonsils try to prevent it from deepening and try to absorb it. Since the surface of the tonsils is heterogeneous - there are gaps on it - pathogenic organisms penetrate there and begin to multiply intensively. Toxins - the products of their vital activity - affect the mucous membrane of the tonsils and damage it, a purulent-inflammatory process begins.
As soon as the purulent plaque begins to flake off, the inflammatory process subsides, the general condition improves.
Many parents ask: Why can't you clean off or squeeze out abscesses? Lymphoid tissue is riddled with many blood vessels of different diameters. If a large vessel is accidentally damaged, it will be almost impossible to stop the bleeding - the ambulance will not have time to arrive.
Another question: Wouldn't it be better to remove tonsils if they often become inflamed? Tonsils have a protective function. If they are not there, the infection will immediately invade the respiratory tract, rise to the brain, and enter the bloodstream.
They think about removing tonsils when:
- the inflammatory process is out offins of the lymphoid tissue that make up the tonsils;
- the glands are constantly inflamed and enlarged, which makes it difficult to swallow food and even disrupts the breathing process;
- lymphoid tissue neoplasms are suspected.
The child's parents should make the decision to remove the focus of infection only after consulting a pediatrician.
Reasons for the formation of abscesses on the tonsils
The most common causes of the inflammatory process are tonsillitis of various etiologies.
During illness, the palatine tonsils are more often inflamed - these are those large formations that parents see on both sides of the pharynx when they look into the baby's mouth. Swelling of the pharyngeal or lingual tonsil in children is much less common.
Of all types of angina in babies, the most common:
- catarrhal - during it, edema of lymphoid tissue appears, but purulent deposits are rarely formed;
- follicular - during it, white abscesses appear on the glands - follicles;
- lacunar - on the tonsils, purulent plaque resembles films that form foci of irregular shape;
- herpetic - the mucous glands are covered with papules with a cloudy liquid;
- fungal - white blooms resemble lumps of curdled curd.
Phlegmous and gangrenous forms are rare, as complications of untreated tonsillitis.
Often, the forms of angina are layered on top of each other - abscesses on the tonsils are adjacent to films, the bacterial process provokes an increase in the activity of opportunistic microorganisms that live in the oral cavity, and secondary infection occurs - candidiasis or thrush develops.
The inflammatory process - regardless of the form of angina - proceeds with similar symptoms.
- temperature rise;
- general intoxication;
- swelling of the tonsils;
- sore throat, worse when swallowing;
- nausea and vomiting in children.
As soon as purulent formations begin to form on the tonsils, an improvement in the condition can be noticed.
With catarrhal angina, the temperature usually does not rise above 38 ° C.
With lacunar angina, it is very important to make sure that the films on the tonsils are white. If they are gray, the temperature does not drop - diphtheria can be suspected. This condition requires immediate hospitalization and urgent medical attention. Gray films can cause the death of a baby - they completely block the lumen of the larynx, and therefore the trachea. There is a high probability that the child will suffocate.
In chronic tonsillitis, you can see purulent follicles on the tonsils without fever and without intoxication of the body. But this is not a reason to come to terms with such a state. Under favorable conditions - hypothermia, the appearance of an allergicreactions - the disease will immediately worsen.
You need to know how to remove ulcers on the tonsils, regardless of the forms of the disease during which they appeared.
It is impossible to remove purulent deposits without curing the disease.
General algorithm for the treatment of inflammatory processes in the tonsils.
- Angina cannot be eliminated without medication. To destroy pathogenic microorganisms and remove purulent deposits without the possibility of recurrence of the inflammatory process, antibiotics, antiviral or antifungal drugs are used, depending on the etiology of the inflammatory process.
- Treatment of the oral cavity with analgesics. They are currently available in spray form, which is very convenient. A drug is sprayed onto the mucous membrane, which not only relieves pain, but also stops the activity of pathogenic microorganisms. These drugs include: Tantrum Verde, Stopangin, Strepsils;
- Antipyretic drugs, if the disease proceeds with a high fever;
- To wash off purulent deposits, rinse procedures.
For rinsing, solutions with antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effects are used, for the manufacture of which medical and folk remedies are used.
Throat can be gargled with solutions:
- potassium permanganate;
- sea and table salt;
Infusions of chamomile, oak bark, eucalyptus, sage are effective ... Local antibiotics, for example, Bioparox , reduce the inflammatory process.
Pus will peel off more quickly from the tonsils if they are treated after rinsing with Lugol.
In no case should you try to clean the tonsils with the application of force with a spatula or cotton swab wound on a stick. The throat should be flushed. To do this, the drinking regime is expanded and the throat is washed.
So that the kid does not refuse to drink, semisweet fruit drinks and fruit drinks are cooked for him, they give him his favorite juices. Sweet drinks in the form of lemonades are not used - they contain artificial colors. During an illness, an allergic reaction may occur, even if the baby used to drink them with pleasure, and there were no adverse consequences.
Throat rinsing procedure is carried out as follows:
- prepare a small enema or syringe without a needle, 10 cubes;
- the prepared product is taken into the rinsing container;
- the child is placed on the side - more comfortable on the knees;
- pinch the nose to open the mouth;
- they release liquid in small portions, directing it to the tonsils - if the stream enters the throat, the child will begin to choke.
After each bath, the baby is turned over so that the water flows out.
The best way to avoid tonsillitis is to harden the throat.
For children who can already rinse, this procedure is carried out daily, gradually reducing the temperature of the water - by 1-2 degrees per week. A great way to captivate your baby is to freeze pills made from fruit juice or herbal infusion and let him dissolve daily. Children from a year are given a drop of ice cream - this is a treatment they really like.
As soon as the baby begins to drink liquid from the refrigerator without consequences and after a walk in the rain does not get sick, the goal is achieved!
A hardened child is not afraid of purulent raids on the tonsils.
Hardening helps to prevent the development of thrush. Persistent and strong immunity is an obstacle to the excessive activity of opportunistic microorganisms.