KBFR - Hood Baby (Official Video)
We sew a hood
Styles of clothing with a hood appeared at a time when no one thought about fashion. In the Middle Ages, tailors already knew how to sew a cape with a hood, since this type of clothing was in demand by all segments of the population - vagabond commoners and nobility.
Covering their faces with a hood, noble lords seduced poor girls, and vagabonds made many-league transitions. This type of clothing was forbidden to be worn by persons who did not profess the Christian religion - therefore, the gentiles were immediately visible.
In 1527, a convenient addition to cloaks and capes became known as the hood - by analogy with the French hood.
Currently, this item of clothing is still popular. It can be functional and decorative. Especially often they are complemented by sportswear, the motto of which is practicality and convenience.
Before you sew a poncho or a robe with a hood, you need to learn how to build a pattern:
- measure the circumference of the head and the distance from the crown of the head to the articulation of the shoulder (this is the easiest way to build a pattern);
- the drawing is built from the bottom corner;
- 2 lines are drawn from a point at right angles - to the right and up;
- from the starting point for all sizes mark 4 cm up and from it 1 to the right (so as not to get confused, this point is designated B).
- measure the length of the neck of the back and the shelf - for those unfamiliar with sewing - the front part;
- a segment is drawn from point B until the intersection with the already drawn lower leg of the right angle - the length of this segment is equal to the sum of the length of the neck of the front and back plus 3 cm per dart;
- to determine the location of the dart, a distance equal to the length of the neck of the back + 1.5 cm is marked from point A - this one and a half cm is half of the dart;
- dart height 8-10 cm. This distance is set at right angles. Marking 1.5 cm on both sides, circle them - an image of a dart is obtained;
- the height of the product should not be less than the length of the head + 3 cm. If you want volume, add more for an increase;
- width is calculated - 1/3 head circumference + 4-9 cm;
- the width of the hood is laid at a right angle from its height, a rectangle is drawn;
- is where the top edge of the product is drawn. It is made straight or drawn on a pattern;
- to the left of the corner downwards mark 1.5-2 cm, and connect with a slightly concave line to the end of the segment C1.
General tips for sewing a fashion item of clothing
Kato sew a hood with your own hands?
- Begin making an addition to clothing by building a pattern;
- Then it is transferred to the fabric, not forgetting the darts. If you plan to sew from a whole cut, then the fabric is bent when laying out, from 2 - it is sewn along the central seam before working with the details;
- If the material is soft, it is advisable to glue the middle of it with an adhesive strip - doublerin. The edges of the doublerin, so that it does not crumble, are processed on an overlock or a zigzag stitch;
- Darts are sewn, parts are folded face to face and sewn;
- The product is steamed, the seam is ironed;
- If necessary, the hood is planned with a lining make up a pattern for it. Available sizes are reduced by the amount of facing - 8 cm. The lining is sewn with darts, pressing the seams;
- On the fabric from which the hood was sewn, a piping is outlined. Strips width 10 cm;
- The product is turned inside out, and a facing is attached;
- Excess fabric is cut off, remembering to add 1.5 cm - this is necessary in the future to sew the hood to the product;
- Loops are sewn to the edge of the trim, thanks to which the fashionable item of clothing will be attached to the thing for which it was intended. Buttons are sewn to the attachment points;
- After trying on, making sure that nothing has to be rebuilt, you can already sew the main part and the lining. After stitching, the hood is turned inside out through a hole in the seam - this is how a pillowcase is put on a pillow;
- Then they process the unclosed edge, pass the finishing line along the entire front edge. If necessary, the edging is adjusted to it.
No need to solve the problem of how to sew a raincoat or a hooded coat. The hood can be attached to any garment.
Products with hoods
It is not difficult to understand how to sew a hoodie using the algorithm already proposed. But in order to sew a poncho with a hood yourself, you don't even have to make a pattern.
Materials and tools required:
- a piece of square fabric - 120cm x 120cm;
- individual pieces of fabric - 60x60 and a little more, for facing;
- sewing machine.
- the square is folded diagonally twice to form a triangle;
- an acute angle is cut in an arc so that the head passes through the resulting hole;
- a 60x60 square piece is folded in half to form a triangle, and sewn perpendicular to the folded edge. Turned out - the hood is ready;
- a trim is cut out of a small piece, the workpiece is processed, a piece of fabric about 8 cm wide is sewn on the bottom side of the product, so that then it is neatly sewn to the poncho from the inside.
The poncho with a pointed hood is ready. The edging can be decorative or made from the same material.
Fur products, which includeme and fur coats, get it for a single year. When buying, they usually try to choose long models to feel like a lady . And then it turns out that a long fur coat is uncomfortable. It interferes when traveling in your own car and in public transport.
When the fur coat is shortened, there are pieces that are a pity to throw away.
Of which can be sewn detachable hood for a fur coat:
- the construction of the pattern is carried out according to the already described scheme, but at least 14 cm is added in height - the fur hides the distance;
- no need to try to arrange the pieces in such a way as to get a complete piece. If it is made of halves, the hood will fit better;
- lining is required. It can be made from fleece or satin. It is desirable that the color of the lining of the fur coat and the hood match;
- fur is easier to cut with a blade;
- parts of the hood are swept from 2 sides before final stitching, the villi are carefully straightened;
- fur is cut at allowances and darts;
- there is hardly a special overlock or machine for sewing fur products at home. The hood will have to be sewn over the edge by hand with a sharp needle. The lining is severed on a typewriter, folded, and also sewn by hand;
- the lining is sewn on, then the product is turned inside out, the edge is finished and the loops are sewn.
Making a hood is not difficult, even if you have no sewing experience. To do this, you just need to be patient and be careful. The garment will look good if all seams are carefully finished .