Hypertension in Pregnancy by Dr Langer Recorded on 9 2 16
Vasoconstrictor drops during pregnancy
Carrying a baby is a period when you want to feel only happiness and the joy of waiting for a baby. But, unfortunately, these happy months are often overshadowed by various diseases due to the fact that the body of the expectant mother is weakened. A pregnant woman can be overtaken by such a nuisance as a cold, and with it - a runny nose, nasal congestion.
In these cases, it is often impossible to avoid the use of vasoconstrictor drops even during pregnancy, because the disease can be dangerous for the unborn baby.
It is impossible to use any of the medicines that modern pharmaceuticals offers, since many of them are dangerous for both the expectant mother and the baby. How to choose the right medicine?
Risk of runny nose
At first glance, it may seem that a runny nose and a mild cold should not harm the unborn baby. However, any disease can be dangerous during pregnancy.
So, bacterial and viral infections can penetrate the placenta, affecting the central nervous system of the future crumbs. In addition, with nasal congestion and a runny nose, a woman has to breathe mainly through her mouth, which can lead to hypoxia of the baby. This is fraught with the fact that he will develop all sorts of diseases that will appear after the birth of a child.
Almost all modern drugs in this category give an instant effect. A couple of taps on the medication dispenser allow you to restore ease of breathing, but despite this effectiveness, not all vasoconstrictor drops can be used by pregnant women - some of them can be very dangerous for the child.
The most dangerous drugs are adrenaline-based drugs. They have an effect not only locally, but also on the body as a whole, and this can result in difficulty in delivering food to the baby.
What blobs you can use
Considering that many vasoconstrictor nasal drops during pregnancy are dangerous, it is worth choosing medicines that have an exclusively local effect to combat the disease.
Here is a list of drugs that can be used during gestation:
- Tyzine . The basis of the drug is tetrahydrozoline hydrochloride, and its effect is to removetii puffiness, as well as a decrease in the separation of the mucous membrane. These drops practically do not enter the bloodstream, therefore the possible risk to the fetus is minimized;
- Vibrocil . At the heart of the drug is dimetindene and phenylephrine. When using this medicine, keep in mind that half of the prescribed dosage is enough for you, and it is better to use a drug intended for the treatment of children during pregnancy. The instructions for these drops indicate that it is not recommended to use it during the period of bearing a child, but if you follow the recommendations indicated above, you will reduce the risk for the baby to a minimum;
- Galazolin , Xymelin . These drugs have the same base - ximetazoline, and they are also the least dangerous for the woman and the fetus.
Even considering the minimal risk of these medications to the child, you should not forget about the precautions.
While carrying a baby, all of them can be used only once / day. The medicine can be used for a maximum of 1 week without interruption.
It is worth knowing that all these vasoconstrictor drugs can be treated exclusively in the first two trimesters of gestation. In the third trimester, the nervous system of the fetus is formed, so even a minimal risk for it should be excluded.
Today they are prescribed to many patients. Pregnant women can also use these medicines, since they do not pose any danger. As a rule, they are based on saline or sea water.
The main disadvantage of these funds is that they do not produce treatment as such and do not eliminate nasal congestion. Their main task is to soften the membranes by moisturizing them, making it much easier to clear the nose.
The most popular tools in this group:
- Aqualor . For the manufacture of the medication, the waters of the Atlantic Ocean are used, due to which the drug is hypoallergenic and has a mild effect;
- Aqua Maris . In its production, the waters of the Adriatic Sea are used, which also contributes to the mildness of its effects, including when used during pregnancy;
- Saline . It is based on ionized salt solution.
All these drugs are absolutely safe for bearing a fetus, but their cost is considerable, so you can make your own substitute with your own hands - a regular saline solution.
Plant Based Products
This is another category of safe medicines. The use of such drops during pregnancy is quite reasonable - they are based only on natural ingredients that provide a mild effect.
The most popular representative of this group of drugs is Pinosol , which contains esters of coniferous trees and mint, thanks to which it is able to relieve inflammation, swelling, heal mucous membranes, and have an antiseptic effect.
Drugs in this group should not be used for more than a week, as well as for the treatment of sinusitis and bacterial infections.
The beneficial effect of these drugs is due to their composition, which usually includes minerals and elements of plant origin. They are useful in treating colds, but the result of their use will have to wait some time.
Here are the most popular drugs in this category today:
- EDAS-131 . It contains silver nitrate, calcium carbonate, pulsatilla, hamomilla. The remedy is used to treat any manifestations of the common cold;
- Euphorbium compositum . The drug contains minerals and natural ingredients that help fight symptoms such as allergies, inflammation of the mucous membranes.
This is a heavy artillery used only as a last resort. Such medicines are not always prescribed and not for pregnant women, since everyone knows the negative effects of antibiotics on the body.
But is it possible to use antibacterial drops during pregnancy if other types of medicines are not able to cope with ailments? Unfortunately, there are diseases that only they can cope with. These diseases primarily include sinusitis and similar ailments.
If you still have to resort to antibiotics, you should use drugs that have a local effect.
Even in cases where other vasoconstrictors do not help, and there is a need to prescribe antibiotics during pregnancy, they cannot be used earlier than 12 weeks of gestation.
After consultation, the doctor may prescribe the following agents in this group:
- Fugentin ;
- Polydexa ;
- Bioparox ;
- Isofra .
Remember that any antibiotics can be dangerous to the health and even the life of the baby, so in no case take them if the doctor has not given such prescriptions. After the examination, he will designate an admission scheme suitable for you individually, and only if there is an urgent need for it.
Any vasoconstrictor nasal drops cannot be prescribed independently during pregnancy - only a specialist is able to determine which treatment is optimal for you.