From khinkal in the Caucasus Mountains to fish from the Caspian Sea - Taste of Russia Ep. 21
The National Dish of the Caucasus on Your Table: Cooking Khinkali
Many people compare Khinkali with dumplings familiar to the Russian people, but there are significant differences. Firstly, the Caucasian product is much larger in size. Secondly, it has a distinctive form, which is directly related to the way of use. Thirdly, it is the ability to use different fillings. The most popular cooking methods are boiling and steaming.
This dish has culinary tricks that are important to know and consider.
The classic khinkali recipe
If you want to cook a tasty and satisfying dish for your family, then use this recipe. You can sculpt khinkali for the future, that is, they can be easily frozen and taken out and cooked at any time. Only in this case it is important to know how much frozen khinkali should be cooked. In general, the cooking process is no different, except for the time frame. Heat treatment will take longer, on average 5 minutes.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. a spoonful of vegetable oil,
- 0.5 teaspoons of salt,
- 150 g lamb and beef each,
- a pinch of coriander.
Cooking method :
- Pour half of the prepared flour on the table and make a depression in the center, and then pour, 0.5 tbsp. very cold water, add salt, butter and start kneading the dough. Leave the resulting mass for half an hour;
- Meat is best chopped with a knife, but you can use a meat grinder with large holes. This will make the filling juicy enough. Finely chop the peeled onion, add a pinch of salt and send to the meat. Knead the minced meat until smooth and add ice water if necessary;
- We return to the dough, in which you need to add half of the remaining flour, and mix everything well for 10 minutes. Then, leave it on for another half hour. After the time has elapsed, add the rest of the flour and knead the tight dough. Divide it into several pieces and roll out a thin layer. Pick up a glass or cup with a diameter of 15 cm and cut out the cakes;
- Put meat in khinkali, 1.5 tbsp. spoons. Using both hands, tuck the edges of the cake towards the center, forming small folds, which at the end should be folded into a slightly elongated ponytail.
Now you need to figure out how to cook khinkali so that they retain their shape and are fully cooked. It is necessarytake a wide saucepan and pour 1.5 liters of water into it. Bring it to a boil and dip the Caucasian dumplings in the liquid, tails up. Count down 15 minutes after surfacing. and you can get it.
This dish was first prepared in Dagestan. Despite the similarity in name, they have nothing to do with Caucasian dumplings. Avar khinkal are thick boiled dough pieces served with meat, broth and sauce.
- for dough : 500 g flour, 500 ml kefir, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and salt;
- for filling : lamb, cilantro, dill, onion, salt and pepper;
- for the sauce : 500 g tomatoes, 55 g butter and 1 clove of garlic.
Cooking steps :
- It is worth starting with meat, the amount of which is determined independently, but the more, the better. Put it in water and bring to a boil. After that, put the whole onion, salt to taste and the cilantro and dill stalks, and set aside the leaves, they will still come in handy;
- Now it's time for the test, for which combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add kefir in portions to the mixture and knead the dough. The resulting soft, but dense ball should be left to rest ;
- We will serve with an original sauce, for which chop the tomatoes until puree. Heat oil in a frying pan and put tomatoes there, add salt and spices. Simmer until the mass has evaporated 2 times. Then place the remaining leaves of greenery. Put chopped garlic on the bottom of the saucepan, add the sauce and add 2 teaspoons of cold water;
- Remove the finished meat, strain the broth, bring to a boil. Roll out the dough into a layer, the thickness of which should be about 1 cm. Cut the diamonds, the side of which should be about 3 cm long. Dip them in the boiling broth and cook until a white foam forms. There should be no raw dough when breaking the crumpet. Serve with stock, meat and sauce.
Khinkali with cheese
With the popularity of Caucasian dumplings, the range of fillings with which they can be prepared has also increased. Many people love the cheese filling, which gives tenderness and piquancy. Recommended to be served with Tkemali sauce.
Ingredients for the test :
- 3 cups flour
- 2 eggs,
- 1 tbsp. a spoonful of oil,
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 150 g milk.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 215 g suluguni,
- 75 g butter
- 2 eggs,
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper.
Cooking method :
- Pour the sifted flour into a bowl and make a depression in the center whereput eggs and salt. Mix until smooth and then add butter and milk portions to knead the correct dough. The mass should come out steep but elastic. Form a ball, cover it with foil and forget about it for 45 minutes;
- It is impossible to imagine the preparation of khinkali without the filling, for which grate the cheese on a coarse grater and mix it with the chopped boiled egg. Put chopped herbs and garlic, as well as salt and pepper in the mass. Mix everything well until smooth;
- Roll out the layer, cut out cakes with a diameter of about 15 cm. It is recommended to stretch the edges of each circle a little to make it easier to sculpt. Place a fair amount of filling in the center of each cake and form a bag. It is important to know how much to cook khinkali with cheese. Since the recipe does not use meat or other raw ingredients, the process will be fast enough and will take about 5-7 minutes.
Khinkali with pumpkin
Consider a dietary version of a popular dish. Caucasian dumplings are juicy and very tasty. We will not analyze how to make the dough, since any of the above options is suitable.
- 325 g pumpkin, onion,
- 3 tbsp. spoons of lard,
Cooking steps :
- Peel the pumpkin and cut it into small cubes. Chop the peeled onion in the same way. Chop the greens. Cut the bacon into small pieces, this product is important for juiciness;
- Combine all prepared ingredients, mix until smooth. You can add some ice water;
- Roll out a layer about 0.5 cm thick. They make khinkali using the method you already know. Cook in salted water for 10 minutes. after boiling. Serve with sour cream.
How to cook khinkali in a slow cooker?
As already mentioned, you can cook a dish in 2 ways, a multicooker can perfectly handle this. It can be cooked or steamed in it. We discussed how to make minced meat and dough for khinkali in the previous recipe, so we will dwell in detail only on cooking options.
- Method # 1 - for a couple
Take a drip tray and grease it with butter. Place prepared Caucasian dumplings on it, leaving a little space between them as they increase in size.
Pour about 2.5 liters of water into the bowl and select Steam cooking and set the time to 45 minutes. After the beep, you can sound. In the same way, you can cook frozen khinkali, only increase the time by 10 minutes.
- Method # 2 - in water
Pour water into the bowl as in a saucepan, put laurel and turn on the Soup and set the timer to 10 minutes. This time is enough for the liquid to boil. Send khinkali to the bowl and cook for another 20 minutes.
We have presented you a classic recipe for a popular Caucasian dish, as well as some variations that will help diversify your diet. Experiment with the filling to create new, original dishes.