Part of the Lion Pride - Dean Schneider living with lions
Have you ever been told that being proud is bad? And they told me a long time ago, back in school. I remember very well how perplexed I was then: how could it be, because pride ran through all the school political and simple information.
Pride for the beautiful country of victorious socialism, for the Red Army, which is the strongest of all, and for our grandfathers who won the greatest Victory in history.
Much later, years later, when that country was no longer there, and the grandfathers, alas, left us forever, I learned that you can and should be proud, but if you become proud, this is the trouble. So you have been struck by the black antipode of pride - pride. Why pride is terrible, why it has been recognized since ancient times as one of the greatest vices, and how to distinguish it from pride - we will talk about this today.
What such pride
Ushakov's Explanatory Dictionary defines the meaning of this word as excessive pride, arrogance, contempt for others. Tellingly, in Ushakov's dictionary this word is marked book., Outdated ., That is, an outdated, obsolete word that is found only in books.
But in a later dictionary edited by Ozhegov, the notes are outdated. not anymore. The hopes that the disease of pride would be defeated, just as many dangerous diseases were permanently defeated, did not come true. Moreover, it is unlikely that the question of how to get rid of pride was once as relevant as it is now.
Why is pride so dangerous? After all, the person struck by her is not yet a thief, not a murderer, not a libertine. By and large, he has not yet brought evil to anyone with his vice, why does Christianity classify pride as one of the seven deadly sins, in contrast to the same theft or murder? The fact is that this vice is the root, the starting point and the root cause of all other sins.
It already contains all the other vices, just as a tiny seed already contains a huge tree with all the branches, leaves, fruits and new seeds contained in them. The proud man envies other people's achievements, feels anger at other people's successes, hungers for the money he needs to rise above the unworthy , etc.
It is not for nothing that Abrahamic religions (that is, religions whose teachings are based on the Old Testament - Christianity, Islam, Judaism) proclaim this vice as the mother of all sins, urging to pacify pride from personswith diligence. According to their teaching, all evil came into the world after the brightest of the angels, overwhelmed by this vice, became the leader of the forces of evil and the Prince of Darkness.
This vice is especially disgusting in that, by strengthening all other vices, it neutralizes, neutralizes all possible virtues. No matter how kind, hardworking and clever a person is, he should be proud, and none of his positive aspects will bring good either to him or to those around him.
Pride or pride?
As you can see, pride and pride are antipodes, but how can you tell one from the other?
To answer this question, let's turn to the Russian language:
- The first difference between pride and pride is not hard to find. We are lucky - our language is so rich and multifaceted that it is able to answer many questions, you just need to be able to look for these answers. The words pride and pride have the same root, which makes it clear that these feelings are related. But at the same time, you can be proud of something or someone, you can feel pride for someone - for your country, for your grandfather, for the Olympic team. It is impossible to test pride for someone, just as it is impossible to be proud of someone. A person afflicted with this vice always turns him to himself;
- Pride can be collective, common, but pride is always individual. Nobody has ever heard of national pride , right?
- Pride can be constructive, it can give strength and endure in difficult moments of life, pride - never. She is always a brake, it is an unnecessary ballast, hanging like a yoke around the neck, preventing it from growing and reaching up;
- Pride cannot be directed against someone. A person who is proud of his country and his people will always treat foreigners with respect and understanding, but one who is proud of his origin will complain about who have come in large numbers and invent offensive nicknames for representatives of other nations. Someone who is proud of his knowledge, skills and professional achievements will not talk about stupid plankton or dull workers . This is a sign of pride.
How to find out the vice
It is obvious that such a destructive vice must be eradicated, and only the person himself can do this, without efforts on his part, any action from the outside will be in vain. But the problem is that the proud person is like an alcoholic, for whom, as you know, the most difficult thing is to admit to himself: I'm an alcoholic . How does a proud person understand the problem? Knowing its signs will help to recognize the flaw in oneself.
So, the signs of pride:
- The need to prove your superiority always and everywhere. If not, then at least seem to be the best;
- Constant dissatisfaction that the world is working wrong , anger that people do, dress, talk and spend their money somehow wrong;
- False sacrifice is the constant reproach of loved ones with their, most often, imaginary sacrifices brought to the altar of family well-being. At the same time, the proud person is not at all embarrassed by the obvious fact that well-being itself may not even be in sight;
- Constantly flaunting their (again, usually imaginary) merits, practically, begging for attention and praise;
- The constant use of the word should , but not in the meaning of I should , but in the meaning of they owe me (by the way, another difference from pride). Someone always owes a proud person - the government and the district must, the children and parents must, the neighbors and the city authorities must;
- A proud person is always dissatisfied with everything and always criticizes everyone. But at the same time, he does not have a critical attitude to his own actions as such;
- Paradoxical as it may seem, pride can also manifest itself in the form of excessive humiliation and self-deprecation. Why it happens? By belittling oneself, the proud self is produced to the level of the child, and the child is not punishable and not subject to jurisdiction, there is no demand from the child. But, again, everyone owes him!
How to defeat vice
Having realized the vice, you can come to grips with the question of how to overcome pride. It is difficult, but quite achievable if you know the basic principles of struggle.
First, remember that the main enemies of pride are responsibility, true self-sacrifice, and duty.
Second, you need to switch from I owe to I owe . This does not mean at all that you need to demonstrate Christian forgiveness in relation to the violation of your legal rights, but you must remember that rights always come only with responsibilities.
Thirdly, train yourself to express wishes in the form of requests, and thank for their fulfillment. Yes, yes, those very famous from childhood please and thank you , about which in adulthood many for some reason forget. Just words?
In fact, words carry a huge informational charge. It has been proven that what words a person uses in speech, he eventually begins to think with the same words. And the way of thinking has the most direct effect on the way you act.
Finally, avoid controversy. And there is no need to repeat the ancient folly (alas, not only wisdom is ancient and ossified) that truth is born in a dispute. Think if one of the disputants claims that twice two equals four, and the other, foaming at the mouth, proves that the result isThe first arithmetic operation is the number five, does this make twice two equal four and a half?
The goal of a dispute is always not to establish the truth, but to to win , to drive the opponent into a dead end, to rise above him, to amuse his pride. This is precisely what dispute textbooks of all times are aimed at, from the ancient Greek scrolls of the sophists to today's brochures the art of persuasion .
And remember that only by getting rid of a serious vice and deciding how to fight pride, you can experience incomparable light true pride!