Scoliosis - Curvature of the Spine
Spinal scoliosis: is there a cure for curvature?
Scoliosis of the spine is a fairly common problem among both adults and children. It often applies to elderly people, however, if there are predisposing factors for this.
Is the curvature of the spine natural?
The name of this disease comes from the Greek word scolios , which means curvature .
The disease itself is characterized by deformation of the spinal column. Like any other disease, scoliosis should be treated at the early stages of its development. When the pathology develops into the third, concluding degree, conservative methods of therapy no longer give the desired effect. It should be noted that our spine is not perfectly straight by nature.
Its natural curves provide our torso with a certain amount of cushioning when walking and sitting. Therefore, scoliosis is understood as lateral curvature of the spine relative to its vertical axis.
The disease develops mainly in childhood, from 6 to 15 years. And if you don't pay attention to the deviation in time, you can start it and commit . When this pathology develops, systemic osteochondrosis begins. The patient feels constant pain, it becomes difficult for him to move. In addition, the normal functioning of some internal organs is disrupted, which leads to further chronic processes.
Of course, the violation can make itself felt in an older, mature, even old age. In this case, radiculitis and the formation of intervertebral hernias inevitably join it.
Causes of the disease
Scoliosis is a curvature of the spinal column to the left or right of its vertical axis.
At the same time as the spine is deformed, the whole body is curved. Body asymmetry is quite visible with the naked eye.
A person suffering from this pathology of the musculoskeletal system often has shoulder blades and rib bones on one side. But the point here is not so much in aesthetics (although it is also important!), But in how detrimental such deformations affect the functioning of internal organs.
Please note that scoliosis should not be confused with kyphosis (pathological stoop, nagainst which a hump grows on the back). These are completely different concepts, and, accordingly, the approach to the treatment of these diseases is also different. Although there is such a thing as kyphoscoliosis, and this disease occurs if scoliosis aggravates the stoop.
In the overwhelming majority of cases, the disease develops at the age of 6-15, when the child undergoes a rapid growth spurt. The causes of this problem are not known for certain to this day, and many doctors prefer to diagnose idiopathic scoliosis (ie, of unknown origin). Especially often it develops in children with a sedentary, sedentary, domestic lifestyle. He also threatens the child if he does not sit properly at the desk or home writing desk. Explanation: When a child or teenager sits hunched over a notebook, book, or keyboard, he often bends forward, tilting his head. At the same time, the seated person often puts forward one shoulder, the side of which he uses as a support. In this case, the upper spine is twisted. Over time, the muscles begin to get used to such an incorrect position of the trunk and back, against which the pathology begins.
And although doctors prefer not to explain such a banal reason, the fact remains: right-handed children who lean over textbooks with the right side of the body, in most cases, suffer from right-sided thoracic scoliosis. Another proof is that the disease very often develops in adolescents who are professionally involved in sports where one side of the body is involved. This category includes tennis, table tennis, badminton, javelin or shot throwing, archery, etc.
Balance your child's body from an early age. It is worth teaching him to sit flat at the table. And if your child went to the listed sports, you must make sure that the other side of his torso also works in an enhanced mode. By the way, the same rules apply to children who are musicians. If a person regularly exercises, the disease is almost guaranteed to pass him. Note that violinists and pianists rarely suffer from this disease, since they involve both sides of their torso.
In 20% of cases of illness that are not related to improper body positions, occur for the following reasons:
- Congenital or acquired joint lability (especially important in old age, when the joint lubricant in the form of hyaluronic acid begins to rapidly wash out from the body);
- Joint hypermobility syndrome;
- Anomalies and deformities of the vertebrae (both against the background of a genetic developmental disorder and as post-traumatic syndromes);
- Postponed rickets;
- Perceptible difference in leg length;
- Disorders of exchange pgrowths in bone tissues;
- Pathologies of the neuromuscular system (cerebral palsy, encephalitis, syringomyelia);
- Performed surgery on the heart muscle (in very rare cases).
The reasons for the violation, as you can understand, are quite specific and removable.
Varieties and forms of pathology
In addition to the fact that scoliosis is 1-2-3 degrees, it can differ in the shape of the curvature.
So, scoliosis happens:
- C-shaped - deformation in one direction (with one arc);
- S-shaped - double deformation in two directions (with two arcs);
- Z-shaped - triple warp (with three arcs).
The third type of pathology is very rare in clinical practice, but still occurs.
1-2-3 the degree of scoliosis depends on the intensity of the curvature of the arch (in other words, on the angle of deformity).
It should be noted that every degree has the ability to progress:
- 1 degree - curvature at an angle of up to 10 degrees (insignificantly and least noticeable, it is recognized mainly if a person bends down and freely lowers his arms);
- 2nd degree - curvature from 12 to 25 degrees (in this case, the pathology is noticeable with the naked eye, the asymmetry of the shoulder and pelvis is especially visible);
- 3rd degree - curvature from 26 to 50 degrees (there is already a deformation of the chest, development of the rib hump, shoulder and pelvic misalignment, severe posture disorder).
There is also a 4 degree pathology, and it is characterized by a curvature of more than 50 degrees. This is the most severe degree of scoliosis. There are 2 or 3 arcs on the patient's back, the asymmetry of the body cannot be overlooked even in the supine position of the patient.
Symptomatic manifestations of pathology
The first and main symptom of the disease is a visible curvature of the axis of the spinal column with its inherent body asymmetry. However, the patient himself can also recognize the disorder by some signals.
So, some of the symptoms of scoliosis:
- Violation of gait against the background of curvature of the spine and asymmetry of the trunk;
- Increased back fatigue, constant local myalgia without objective reasons (muscle pain in the absence of intense physical exertion);
- Pain syndrome localized between the shoulder blades, sternum, lower back;
- Frequent headaches;
- Chest deformity - protrusion on one side and retraction on the other;
- Disruption of the heart, lungs, and organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
As you can see, the symptoms are not at all limited to banal aesthetic discomfort. And accordingly, they entail certain complications.
Therapy for spinal column deformity
Exercise therapy for scoliosis is the main therapeutic measure that can cure the disease. At the same time, it is very important to find a competent instructor who is able to develop an individual training scheme and calculate an active impact on curvature. Exercises for scoliosis do not tolerate self-activity, so do not self-medicate - you risk aggravating the problem.
How to treat scoliosis?
In addition to exercise therapy, you should pay attention to methods such as:
- Hirudotherapy (leech therapy);
- Isometric kinesiotherapy;
- Therapeutic massage (only from a qualified chiropractor!).
If you notice symptoms of this disorder in yourself or your loved one, be sure to seek the advice of an experienced vertebrologist.
Keep in mind that any disease tends to progress, and this process will certainly be aggravated by your inaction. May your body be strong, healthy and strong!