How Long Do Drug Addiction Withdrawal Symptoms Last?
Nicotine, alcohol, antidepressant, drug, drug withdrawal syndrome
In medicine, this phenomenon is also called abstinence. This is the reaction of the human body to the termination of the use of certain substances that he is used to taking. The phenomenon is accompanied by a rather severe symptomatology, which patients can get rid of only by resuming the intake of substances that they have stopped taking.
Withdrawal symptoms can persist for different periods of time, depending on which substance that caused the addiction it is caused by. In many cases, a person needs medical and, in particular, psychological help in order to cope with the phenomenon.
The state of abstinence is due to the fact that it is difficult for the body to immediately rebuild and continue to function normally against the background of stopping the intake of the substance on which it depends. This is due to the fact that these drugs are psychoactive - capable of affecting the state of the nervous system, psychological and emotional background.
A person who has been using such psychoactive substances for a long time feels discomfort and even depression.
Common types of dependencies that cause this effect:
- Cocaine, opioid addiction;
- Psychostimulants, sleeping pills, antidepressants - all these drugs can cause withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking them;
- Smoking, hashish addiction.
In this list, addiction provocateurs are given in ascending order of the time it takes a person to get used to.
This means that a person gets used to opium and cocaine much faster than to hashish or cigarettes. Nevertheless, the degree of addiction does not depend on this - it is psychologically difficult to give up any of them.
A number of drugs can cause dependence, respectively, and withdrawal syndrome. In this case, the syndrome manifests itself as a decrease to zero of its positive effect against the background of addiction to it, and sometimes the appearance of new symptoms of the disease, which is being combated.
Often such a picture is given by hormonal drugs, the discontinuation of which often leads to hormonal disruption. There is only one known area of medicine where drug withdrawal has a positive effect - gynecology.
The patient, if it is impossible to become pregnant in other ways, is prescribed hormonal drugs that inhibit the function of the ovaries, but immediately after stopping them onthere is a surge of hormones necessary for conception. This stimulates ovulation, and this method is one of the most commonly used in the field of combating reproductive problems.
When you stop taking a drug, regardless of whether its effect has decreased during the period of use or not, there is a withdrawal syndrome, which in medicine is also called rebound syndrome .
No matter what addictive substance we are talking about, over time a person cannot live normally without it, the body loses its ability to fully function, which, however, against the background of addiction, in principle, is not necessary to talk about.
Withdrawal of addictive substances is accompanied by symptoms that are common to any type of withdrawal.
The only exception may be the refusal to take a number of drugs, in which these symptoms will be less pronounced.
- Deterioration of general well-being, decreased activity, efficiency, depression;
- Cancellation of addictive drugs causes irritation and worsens mood. Often this condition is accompanied by depression;
- Dysfunction of internal organs. This may be evidenced by such manifestations as shortness of breath, increased heart rate, nausea, tremors in the muscles, increased sweating;
- Looping on one thought - getting an addictive substance. During the period of withdrawal, this desire replaces all primary needs, including food consumption, sexual activity, communication, etc.
When to wait for withdrawal symptoms?
All negative manifestations of this condition can manifest themselves at different times, which is due to the degree of addiction, the means that caused it.
On average, we are talking about the following terms:
- An experienced smoker may feel an irresistible urge to smoke a cigarette within an hour after the previous smoke break;
- Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome may appear several hours after the last drink;
- Withdrawal symptoms after discontinuation of antidepressants usually make themselves felt after a day, in some cases 2 days;
- With drug addiction, withdrawal appears about a day after taking a dose.
No matter what kind of withdrawal occurs in a person, symptoms do not appear simultaneously. At the same time, they also retreat one by one, and the first to disappear are those that appeared last.
When to expect a drop in withdrawal symptoms?
This question is also individual, and the answer to it depends on many factors. This largely depends on the amount of time required to remove from the body toxins, decay products of the once used means.
ThisThat account is the observation of specialists who have approximately determined how long the withdrawal syndrome will last, accompanied by a severe manifestation of symptoms.
- Withdrawal from alcohol consumption can be a very difficult condition, accompanied by psychopathological disorders. A person may suffer from insomnia, bouts of anxiety, groundless fear, hallucinations. This state is accompanied by a feeling of depression, and in some cases suicidal thoughts may creep in. Alcohol withdrawal syndrome in severe cases is a reason for finding a patient under medical supervision. This condition usually lasts up to a week, but in some situations it can drag on for several months;
- Withdrawal of drugs is usually accompanied by severe fragility , manifested by fever, loss of appetite, pain throughout the body, anxiety. A strong fever in a person can be abruptly replaced by a chill, the pressure decrease, diarrhea, vomiting, and muscle spasms are often observed. If a person has a mild withdrawal syndrome, they do not betray him to treatment, and after about a week he will retreat on his own. In severe abstinence, the patient can undergo treatment in a special clinic, and it can take from a week or more;
Nicotine withdrawal syndrome usually requires no treatment. When getting rid of an addiction and related abstinence, it is important to enlist the support of loved ones, have a positive and decisive attitude, and a desire to eliminate addiction. The most difficult periods in this process are the first few days, during which a former smoker can not stand it and retrain to become an active smoker.
By the end of the first week, harmful substances are removed from the body, and unpleasant withdrawal symptoms gradually recede. By the end of the first month, a person can completely get rid of the bad habit;
- Doctors say withdrawal symptoms after stopping antidepressant medication can be prevented. To do this, its dosage is gradually reduced, and by the end of about the 3rd week, the drug is stopped altogether.
No matter how severe the withdrawal syndrome is, it is much easier for a person to cope with it if he feels the support of loved ones and has enough willpower, determination to abandon the substance that has provoked the addiction of the body. span>