Striped Raphael Catfish With Clown & Skunk Loaches (Platydoras armatulus)
Lifetime song of catfish platidoros
Platidoras striped - a cute catfish from the armored family, a favorite of aquarists and an excellent neighbor for the inhabitants of the home water reservoir ... The geography of its natural distribution is quite clear: it lives mainly in the countries of Latin America - Venezuela, Peru, Colombia, Bolivia and Brazil.
Platidoras: species characteristic
Platidoras has an elongated black body. The sides are decorated with long horizontal stripes of a contrasting light color. He has large eyes with a well-defined pupil and two pairs of mustaches.
The funniest thing about this breed is the vocal skills . Catfish of the species Platidoras striped makes a wide variety of sounds, especially to attract a pair during spawning, or to scare away predatory fish. For this, aquarists call him the singing catfish.
As a result of the intentional tension of a certain muscle, the fish emits a deep vibrational sound, quite intense and audible even through the aquarium wall.
Rules for keeping Platidoras striped
Platidoras is a rather strong and large catfish, therefore its maintenance in a small aquarium is undesirable. For free movement, the catfish will need a tank with a volume of 150 liters. Don't forget that you have decided to acquire a nocturnal bottomfish that needs shelter during the day.
Therefore, soft muddy soil, driftwood, pipes, stones, vegetation and caves - all this is extremely important for the comfortable life of the striped Platidoras. Your pet will be able to dwell in the middle part of the water column, but still prefers to explore the bottom. Bright light directed at its new habitat is highly undesirable.
Despite being widespread among aquarists, keeping platydorosa striped fish is quite troublesome, especially for beginners. This breed does not tolerate standard dry and granular feeds. Of course, there are lucky ones who were able to accustom pets to such a diet, but there are few of them, and the nutrition of their pets may not have a very positive effect on the health of the fish.
Another pitfall is the size of the aquarium. Oversized tanks are expensive and not everyone can afford. And in cramped conditions your catfish may feel bad.
At the same time, the Platidoras catfish is an incredibly positive fish that is interesting to watch. Representatives have a peaceful character, so theircompatibility with neighbors in living space is usually not questioned. The fish is quite shy, and its peak of activity occurs at twilight and at night.
During the day, your pet needs a shelter to hide from the sunlight, sleep or watch life in the water. During its wakefulness, the fish is distinguished by its activity: it swims quickly, buries itself in the ground, examines the bottom and utilizes waste products.
Self-cleaning of the fish's home, of course, will not relieve you of the need to carry out general cleaning of the container, but will significantly reduce its frequency. Be sure to place lots of rocks, velvety soil, driftwood and plants with dense leaves in the aquarium.
Platidoras catfish live in their natural habitat for 20 years. If properly kept in captivity, the fish will delight you for at least 13-15 years.
Basic rules of catfish care:
- The minimum size of the container for keeping fish is 150-200 liters;
- The water should be soft, in the range 1-13 dH;
- The acid-base balance must be maintained within 6-7.5 pH;
- Comfortable temperature - 23-29 ° С;
- It is better to cover the aquarium with a lid: your catfish can leave it even during daylight hours;
- You don't need to overfeed your pet. He is prone to obesity and overeating;
- Provide your pet with food mainly in the evening;
- Feed the Platydorus with tubifex, bloodworms, earthworms;
- The diet should include more protein, but plant feeding is required;
- There is no need to add water in the aquarium: the fish's immunity may weaken;
- Don't overdo it with aeration and filtration. Catfish love weak water flow;
- If you breed several representatives of this breed at once, build a separate shelter for each;
- Catfish compatibility is favorable with cichlids and other large fish. Catfish will definitely destroy small things at night;
- It is not recommended to keep it with aggressive breeds.
Breeding Platidoras striped is unfortunately problematic and not at all suitable for beginners.
For a favorable spawning, fish often require injections of the reproductive hormone gonadotropin:
- Fish reach sexual maturity no earlier than 2 years;
- Spawning almost always has to be stimulated. To do this, the pituitary gland of bream or chorionic gonadotropin is injected into the fish;
- Before the breeding process, it is advisable to feed the catfish with live fry;
- Storage of caviar requires a substrate;
- A female lays about 200-350 eggs in one act;
- Fry development takes place within a few days;
- The young growth takes a horizontal position and swims after 5-6 days after birth.
The fry are traditionally fed 4-5 times a day, mainly with live food with the gradual inclusion of plant products.
Platidoras striped is an excellent choice for professionals and those who are already trained in domestic fish farming. Decorate your aquarium with these incomparable creatures, surround them with affection and care, and they will become your best friends for years to come.