HYPOCHONDRIA 1960s Psychiatric Interview with Patient experiencing Hysterical Neurosis
Hysterical neurosis: how serious is this diagnosis?
Hysteria or uterine fury - this was the term used by doctors when they diagnosed hysterical neurosis in ancient times. The reason for all diseases of women was then considered the uterus, its wandering through the female body. The presence of this organ automatically since the time of Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, made a woman the owner of a similar disease. This diagnosis remained popular until the early twentieth century.
Subsequently, Sigmund Freud made a number of discoveries in the treatment of mental disorders, thanks to the study of hysteria.
В what are the causes of the pathology?
The term hysteria is hopelessly outdated. The modern world does not accept it, because it is not a disease of an exclusively female body or a female psyche.
The psychiatry of our time declares the existence of hysterical personality disorder. This diagnosis is applicable to 2-3% of people. Gender does not really matter, although it is believed that women are more susceptible to this disease.
Hysterical neurosis or psychopathy - characterized by constant consumption or insatiable demand for attention to your person, feigned behavior, quick excitement, unstable self-esteem, easy suggestibility.
The cause of hysterical neurosis is due to the presence of factors of an external or internal nature.
- Raising in a family where the roles of male and female are clearly defined, and one gender prevails over the other. Such parents transmit the message to the child that his gender is inherently flawed is a definite disadvantage. As a result, there is a suppression of sexuality, repression of sexual desires, their censure;
- Cold, indifferent parents, creating a sense of the need to fight for attention. Such children begin to substitute concepts. Already, as adults, they confuse love and interest, taking it for a feeling;
- Domineering parents with high demands. The basis of family relations is competition, with the help of which the inclinations of a hysterical personality are formed in children;
- Expectation, pressure from society, society can break natural mental reactions.
- Mental infantilism - immature mental development, which is characterized by childish behavior;
- Internal personality conflict - arises as mental stress due to contradictions.
What are the characteristic features of pathology: symptoms of hysterical neurosis
A person prone to hysterical neurosis can be identified by the following features:
- feels pronounced discomfort when it receives less attention from others in the form and volume they want;
- easily gullible, highly suggestible, he can quickly fall under the influence of others;
- behaves provocatively when communicating, demonstrates excessive seduction, sexuality;
- is extremely concerned about his appearance, attaches particular importance to it, trying to make the most of the appearance to get everyone's attention, often uses clothes of bright colors, unusual styles;
- self-centeredness, which is characterized by the desire to constantly receive pleasure, indulge one's desires, a thirst for praise, resentment;
- the desire to manipulate others in order to satisfy their needs, desires;
- the manifestation of rapidly changing emotions, in the absence of deep experience, all feelings are superficial;
- impressionistic style of speech - speech is replete with emotional color, chaotic, without detail;
- trustfully refers to barely familiar people, gives a special depth up to closeness to casual relationships.
The manifestation of this disease is a hysterical seizure, which occurs as an acute form of the disease. It is often used as a provocation to achieve goals, manipulate others, and gain personal gain.
This type of disorder can be called theatrical or demonstrative, as it is accompanied by vivid, ostentatious emotional reactions. From tears, a person easily goes to laugh, can make a variety of convulsive movements, pretentiously wring his hands, roll his eyes, etc.
A seizure is characterized by:
- movement disorder - paralysis, seizures, convulsions, sudden voluntary movements, inability to stand without assistance, coordination problems;
- sensitive disorders - painful sensations arising behind the sternum, in the limbs, in the abdominal area, and the symptoms do not subside even after taking an anesthetic drug;
- screaming, crying, howling.
Seizures vary significantly over time.
The duration directly depends on the presence of the audience and the amount of attention received. Weakness is observed after the seizure. Consciousness during a seizure is preserved, but may narrow.
In children, hysterical neurosis goes away with symptoms of adult exacerbations. The difference is the simplicity, the simplicity of the manifestation of a seizure in a child. He can fall to the floor, kick, wave his arms, cry loudly, scream. The older the child gets, thosem more demonstrative, more sophisticated seizures may become.
There is a kind of hysterical neurosis, recorded only in Russia - this is hysteria. Women show an irresistible urge to scream in church or have a full-blown seizure. Hysteria is a symbiosis of belief in demonic possession and high suggestibility. The cure for hysteria is exorcism, removal of spoilage, effective due to the patients' belief in their obsession.
If you witness a hysterical fit, you need to provide first aid. It represents a series of sequential actions: calming others, removing curious viewers from the room.
You can use ammonia. Try not to pay special attention to the patient, but in no case leave him alone. It is also forbidden to try to hold a person by force by the hands, shoulders, head. For first aid, it is necessary to differentiate an epileptic seizure from a hysterical one.
Epilepsy is a disease of the nervous system, characterized by seizures, and may be accompanied by seizures. With hysterical neurosis, convulsions are more common.
These seizures are easy to confuse, but there are significant differences. From them you can determine which case is in front of you. So a seizure presupposes spectators. A person in hysterics always retains consciousness, although it is narrowed, and when falling is rarely injured, as he does it carefully.
With an epileptic seizure, involuntary urination often occurs. With hysterics, there is no biting, tongue sinking, which is observed in the case of epilepsy. Epilepsy is a violation of the conduction of nerve fibers, impulses of neurons in the brain. With a hysterical seizure, the nervous system does not suffer, no pathological changes occur in it.
Treatment of hysterical neurosis
In adults and children, the treatment of hysterical neurosis is carried out with the help of psychotherapy. Also, the patient needs to build a healthy psychological atmosphere in the family, his environment. In some people, seizures can go away without specific treatment.
In women, treatment of hysterical neurosis is carried out if psychological consultations from a doctor are not enough. Then tranquilizers are used for treatment in small doses and in a short course. If the disease is prolonged and the symptoms worsen, they begin to treat it with more serious drugs, combining and combining them.
May increase dosage and duration of treatment.
When the described treatment does not help, the option of hospitalization and inpatient observation is considered.