Sucral Ano Cream: Uses, Side Effects, Contraindications, Key Highlights, Dosage With Interactions

How to use turpentine ointment: indications and contraindications

Everyone knows about the existence of such an anti-inflammatory agent as turpentine ointment, many have even tried its effect on themselves in childhood. Just some 10-15 years ago, this drug was a mandatory component of every home medicine cabinet and was used to treat a wide variety of ailments.

Article content

Success and relevance

How to use turpentine ointment: indications and contraindications

It was thanks to the mass of useful qualities, as well as its affordable price, that this tool was then so popular.

Currently, this ointment has again become a popular drug, it began to be used not only to treat coughs and rheumatism, but even to eliminate cellulite and tighten the skin. What qualities does this miracle drug have, what is its composition and are there any contraindications to its use?

Composition and properties

How to use turpentine ointment: indications and contraindications

The main active ingredient of this ointment is turpentine oil (turpentine, gum turpentine) - a product of processing the resin of coniferous trees, most often pines. To prepare gum turpentine, pine resin is used, which has appeared on the bark in places of its damage.

Classic turpentine ointment contains 20% gum turpentine per 100 grams of ointment, the remaining 80% is petroleum jelly and water, however, products with a different ratio of the main components may be sold.

Turpentine very easily penetrates into the upper layers of the skin and acts on the nerve endings, due to which the turpentine ointment has a pronounced irritating and warming effect. In addition, irritation of the nerve receptors in the upper layers of the skin promotes the rapid formation and release of enkephalins, endorphins and other substances that have anesthetic effect.

The essential oil of pine, contained in turpentine, gives the product a characteristic spruce aroma and has a positive effect on the psyche.

During the use of the ointment, two streams of excitation arise, which simultaneously enter the nervous system: one comes from the internal organs, and the second from the treated skin area. This explains the distracting effect of the drug. In addition, gum turpentine has insecticidal properties, so the ointment is used in the complex treatment of head lice.

Indications for use

How to use turpentine ointment: indications and contraindications

Turpentine ointment has many indications for use that seem at first glancethe poison is completely incompatible and dissimilar. Among the first diseases in which turpentine rubbing is prescribed are rheumatism and radiculitis. When treating them, the distracting and analgesic effects are just what is needed to significantly alleviate the course of the disease.

Turpentine rubbing is also used in the treatment of arthralgia, neuritis, myalgia and neuralgia.

Turpentine ointment is often used to treat coughs and colds in children over two years old. Turpentine ointment is used to lubricate the baby's chest and back in order to warm up and quickly release mucus.

Rubbing the patient with warming compounds bypassing the heart area can only be prescribed by a doctor, at a time when he does not have a temperature.

The safest alternative to using gum turpentine for the treatment of colds and coughs is rubbing the patient's feet before going to bed, followed by warming the legs with woolen socks.

How to use turpentine ointment: indications and contraindications

Alternative medicine also suggests using another way of using a turpentine warming agent - taking a turpentine bath, which has a warming and tonic effect, improves breathing, tones and tightens the skin.

Modern women have found use of turpentine also in the field of beauty. Recently, they increasingly practice the use of turpentine 20% ointment against cellulite.

Such its use is due to the same warming effect, due to which the irritation of the nerve endings and the improvement of blood circulation occur.

Contraindications

Despite the naturalness and many positive qualities of this drug, there are a number of contraindications to the use of turpentine ointment.

So, it is forbidden to use the ointment for the following diseases:

How to use turpentine ointment: indications and contraindications
  • heart disease;
  • kidney disease;
  • various liver pathologies;
  • fungal and infectious skin lesions.

The use of turpentine ointment during pregnancy and breastfeeding is also strongly discouraged.

The use of turpentine cough ointment for the treatment of young children and adolescents should be started with the minimum doses and strictly as prescribed by the doctor.

Turpentine Oil: History & Uses in Ayurveda

Previous Post How is the fundus checked in adults and children?
Next Post Small kitchen interior