Tailors Are Expensive, Hem Your OWN Dress Pants (DIY Tutorial)
How to sew pants - your own tailor
Probably many people are familiar with the situation when you need to sew pants and the sewing machine seems to be there, and the hands grow from the right place, but there are not enough skills? You can, of course, ask the atelier for help, but why then is this Singer or Janome standing in the room and gathering dust? Of course, no one argues that trousers are more difficult to sew than a skirt or dress, but it is quite possible, most importantly, follow our recommendations.
How to sew pants on correctly?
This is only at first glance, it seems that trousers on the sides and in the belt are easy to sew. But there are a number of nuances here. The main nuance is that it is possible to take trousers in at least two sizes. Otherwise, you can skew the legs and ruin the model.
If you see that you need to sew more, then a full cut cannot be avoided. That is, rip at the seams, apply new patterns and make a pattern for them. Therefore, it is worthwhile to soberly assess your strengths, and in order to avoid damage to the product, consider the option of handing over your trousers in the atelier.
The second caveat is that you need to sew in the trousers at the same time along all the seams: back, side and inner. Note! We will only sew on the outside in the event that you need to remove the excess fabric from the hips, and not the entire size. That is, when the product is your size, but it sits badly on the hips, because there is not enough volume.
Before picking up scissors and a needle, you first need to turn the product inside out and put it on. Use pins to mark where the model is not sitting perfectly. Then sweep by hand and try on the right side. If what you see satisfies you, you can sew a machine seam as well.
If the trousers are a little wide, do not rush and rather take to suture the side seam. First try on the pants, pin the outer seam, and move a little in them, sit down. If you feel that they are drawn, most likely, the inner line needs to be redone.
But in any case, before taking on the typewriter, first try on trousers and determine exactly where you need to remove the excess. This is exactly the case when they say Measure seven times, cut once .
Same asto sew wide trousers at the waist and on the sides?
There are several ways in which you can pants in the belt, choose one of them:
- Sew side folds only;
- Sew by making grooves;
- Remove excess fabric by suturing middle seam;
Below is a step-by-step description of how to sew 1-2 sizes of trousers at the waist, processing the middle seam:
- First kick off the belt loop, then the waistband and cut it in half (at the back). Next, open the finishing line on the middle seam (on the bottom). Then the suture itself is sutured;
- Then the excess is removed on the belt. It is stitched, decorative stitching and belt loop are restored on the middle seam.
How do I sew pants on the sides only?
- The product is also worn inside out and all excess fabric is measured in front of the mirror, on the hips, butt and on the legs;
- Then make temporary stitches on one leg and try on again, comparing both legs;
- If everything is sketched correctly, then take off your pants again, unstitch unnecessary lines on them, then sew everything along the outlined lines. In order to save the model, suturing is required from all seams in the same way - internal and external;
- Trying again. If everything suits you, then the trousers are ironed, excess allowances are cut off and the edges are overcast.
How to sew in flared trousers for women?
Sometimes the pants fit perfectly at the top, but the cut at the bottom does not suit you.
And it's not just the flare, which is now out of fashion, sometimes you want to narrow the usual straight model:
- Everything starts, as usual, with a fitting. We put on the product inside out and pin the excess with tailor's pins. Everything is done on one leg. On it we measure on the fabric from the side of both seams, the same distance;
- Take off the pants and draw a remnant from the highest stabbed point down an even (straight, or narrowing) line;
- Then we combine both legs and from one to the other we also transfer the line of the new line with pins. Draw a remnant line on the second leg;
- Sewing by hand, fitting. If the stitching line suits, then cut off the excess fabric, at a distance of 1 centimeter from the seam and sew the trousers;
- Iron the pants and overlock the edges.
How do I sew the pants down?
It will be easier to use a magic wand in the form of tailor's adhesive tape. For this, the fold line is first determined. Then cut off the excess fabric. You need to leave from 1 to 2.5 centimeters. After that, the fold line is fixed with an iron.
Further, a tape is embedded in it, you can insert it in parts and each part is ironed from the inside out. After the tape is secured, sew a circular stitch at the bottom of the leg, otherwise it may come off during washing.
There is also a way without a tape. Against it, we determine the length of the finished product. Leave a seam allowance of 1 centimeter and cut off the excess. We overlock or overcast the edge, and then from the wrong side we make a fixing line on a typewriter.
Rules to sew pants 1-2 sizes smaller
There are some basic rules to follow when sewing on the legs. It doesn't matter if you trim or flare:
- Not all styles can be redone;
- Use ordinary homemade remnants when cutting;
- Basting is done with white thread, as it does not fade;
- If not available, overlock , zigzag the edges of the or use the special attachment called overlock foot ;
- Sew on the legs starting from the top;
- If the pants have decorative seams, such as jeans, then even inside stitches are sewn with the same stitch length as the decorative seams;
- Don't forget to iron the product at the end.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated in the question of how to sew in even wide trouser legs. The main thing is not to rush. As long as the final stitch is not made and the excess fabric is not cut off, you will always have the opportunity to unstitch the threads and rewind. Happy sewing.