How to make your own pleated tennis skirt ! - very cute + trendy
How to sew a pleated skirt with your own hands
A pleated skirt is a classic that is always in fashion regardless of the length or color of the product. If you have at least a little experience in needlework, it will not be difficult to sew an outfit. About the sequence of work execution below.
Where to start
First of all, decide on the style, length of the product and the type of folds (circular, counter and bow).
To calculate the required amount of fabric, multiply the hip girth (OB) by 3. It turns out that if you sew on a person with a hip girth of 100 cm, you will need 300 + 10 = 310 cm, with a fabric width of 160 cm, you will need 2 lengths.
To calculate the material for a skirt with bow pleats, you can use the formula:
Di + Shp * 2 + 2 cm + 3 cm
Where: Di - product length, Шп - belt width, 2 and 3 cm - seam allowances.
Now you can start directly cutting and sewing the product.
Prepare the necessary materials and tools:
- Tailor's scissors;
- Zipper or button;
- Measuring tape;
Skirt with pleats in a circle
You don't need to make a pattern for this model. All the necessary markings are applied directly to the fabric using chalk or dry remnants.
Before drawing the lines, make sure that the fabric is lying correctly, set the length of the skirt along the factory hem. Cut a straight strip at the top for the waist.
Since it is impossible to find a 3 meter wide fabric in one piece, the product will consist of 2 or 3 pieces.
For each detail, add your own seam allowances - 1-2 cm.
Lay out the resulting width on a flat surface and, armed with a ruler, proceed to marking. The calculation is as follows: to make one fold, the fabric must be folded into 3 layers. Width 1 is usually from 3 to 7 cm, respectively, the depth is 6-14 cm.
The quantity is calculated by the formula: (About + 4): 4 = 26 pcs.
Mark as follows. Retreat 2 cm from the edges, this is for the seams. Next, half of the fold depth is set aside, for this model it is 8: 2 = 4 cm. Next, the fold width is also 4 cm and the total depth is 8 cm, again 4 and 8. In this sequence, the entire skirt is drawn, at the end you will have 4 - 4 - 2.
How to sew:
- From the top, measure the line of the hips (18-20), hem the bottom of the garment, just short of the edges, and iron. Now we need to create the opposite folds.
- The folds are ironed from above to the thigh line, from this point and downward they are stitched with a basting stitch.
- Along the waistline, excess fabric is evenly removed into the depth of the folds. Now, from top to thigh, also stitch with a basting stitch, then iron and you can stitch. The skirt is sewn at the back.
- Now you can move on to the belt, fastener and finally hem the bottom. The fabric on the belt is folded in half; for rigidity, a special tape can be inserted into the middle. Overcast the edges, then baste to the top and sew.
- Take a secret lightning. It is inserted along the seam, gripping the belt. It remains to remove the basting, iron it and can be worn.
Long skirt with opposite pleats
For sewing, you need a fabric of arbitrary width, preferably more than one and a half meters. The model will have one seam, a detachable belt and a hidden zipper.
Calculation and cutting
Since we want a long skirt, we measure the distance from the waistline to the ankles. If you plan to wear very high heels, then floor-length.
Cut a strip on top of the belt. In length it will be equal to the waist circumference (From) + 2 cm at the seams, in width 5 * 2 + 2 = 12 cm. We put this tape aside for now.
Let's start calculating and marking folds.
Let's say there will be 8 of them (4 in front and 4 in the back). With a fabric width of 160 cm and a waist volume of 75 cm, the calculation will look like this: 160 - 75 - 2 = 83 cm. This length will go into the folds. The last figure is the desired fold depth 83: 9 = 9.2 cm.
Marking the fabric.
The fabric is laid out on a flat surface, the total width is divided into 9 equal parts, 1 cm per seam is taken from the edges. Set aside from the received marks in both directions at half the depth (4.6 cm).
How to sew:
- Begin to bend from the outermost marks to the center, holding the folds with pins.
- Then basting and ironing.
- Now you need to make a stitch on top of the skirt and you can sew a seam, insert a zipper and hem the bottom.
- The belt is first sewn from the inside, and then from the front side. A hidden zipper should grip it and be hidden in the seam.
- At the end of all work, the basting is removed, the product is ironed and can be worn.
Skirt with bow pleats
They are made in the same way as the counter ones, only they look like from the wrong side.
To calculate the width of the fold, divide the waist (From) by their number: 75/8 = 9.38. The depth is calculated as follows: for sewing fabrics 120 cm are taken, 2 parts are needed for a skirt, total width is 120 * 2-5 = 235 cm. Subtract the size of the waist (235-75 = 160) and divide by the number (160/8 = 20).
Having all the data, you can start to sizefabric etch.
First, we sew 2 panels together and get the total width. Further, from the edge we retreat 2.5 cm to the seam and measure the fourth of the total depth of the fold (20/4 = 5). Following is the width of the bow, ½ the depth and again ½ the depth. After that, the markings will look like this: 9 - 10 - 10 - 9. At the end, 2.5 cm will remain on the seam.
The folds are laid in the same way as the opposite folds, but with a bow outward. Further steps are the same as for the previous model.
A self-made skirt is not only cost savings, but also a manifestation of individuality. The risk of meeting a person in the same outfit is minimized. Fashionable and stylish solutions for you!