Toothache during Pregnancy-How to Relieve Tooth Pain Fast While Pregnant
How to relieve a toothache during pregnancy?
Toothache during pregnancy becomes a real challenge for women who think that it is absolutely impossible to treat their teeth during this period. Unfortunately, many girls mistakenly believe that any kind of dental manipulation and the use of pain relievers can harm the fetus. This article will look at the main causes of toothache during pregnancy and safe ways to relieve symptoms.
Causes of toothache during pregnancy
There can be many reasons for the appearance of pain in the teeth, as well as inflammatory processes in the oral cavity. Some people believe that this kind of problem occurs only for those who dishonestly perform hygiene procedures to clean the oral cavity from food debris and germs.
However, during pregnancy, a number of objective reasons for the onset of pain may arise, which include:
- Caries. During pregnancy, the amount of calcium in the body decreases sharply, as a result of which the tooth enamel becomes thinner. This leads to the formation of tartar and, as a result, caries;
- High acidity. During toxicosis and changes in the hormonal background, acidity in the oral cavity may increase, which also negatively affects the state of the enamel;
- Stress. Often, women who are in interesting position are stressed by unstable hormonal levels and constant emotional changes. Mental instability affects not only the condition of the teeth, but also many other body systems.
Remember that only an experienced dentist can assess the condition of your teeth and decide how best to deal with the problem. The fear of going to the dentist's office can only aggravate the situation, as a result of which the doctor will have to use powerful pain relievers. Indeed, in advanced situations, only such medications are able to dull pain.
What can you do if you have a toothache during pregnancy? First, you need to immediately contact your dentist, and secondly, find out the cause of the problemem. Unpleasant sensations can be provoked by pathogenic flora actively multiplying in the oral cavity.
It is she who leads to the appearance of various diseases:
- Pulpitis. With inflammation of the pulp, aching pain is often formed with attacks of sharp and pulsating pain sensations;
- Caries. When carious formations create a gap in the enamel, the nerve endings are exposed. And if they come into contact with food, discomfort occurs;
- Periodontal ailments. As a result of gum inflammation, the roots of the tooth are exposed, which leads to unpleasant sensations;
- Hyperesthesia. Hypersensitivity often presents as sharp pain when eating cold or hot food;
- Periodontitis. When the inflammation is localized in the apex of the tooth root, people complain of dull pain when biting hard food. This indicates the presence of periodontitis.
If you find yourself with one of the above problems, it is not only possible to consult a doctor during pregnancy, but also simply necessary! In some cases, it is precisely ignoring the problem that can damage the health of the newly born baby. Therefore, you shouldn't hesitate with a decision.
Analgesics for toothache in pregnant women
How can you quickly relieve a toothache during pregnancy? Of course, modern drugs are able to relieve pain much faster than rinsing or alternative methods of treatment.
But they should be taken only on the recommendation of specialists who can prescribe these types of drugs:
- Analgin. Powerful tablets that can quickly relieve any discomfort. But it has a number of side effects, which is why it was banned in many European countries;
- Nurofen. Until the second trimester of pregnancy, pain can be relieved with this drug, but only by agreement with the doctor;
- Aspirin. This drug will not completely relieve the discomfort, but it will somewhat dull the pain;
- Paracetamol. This remedy is considered the safest, but the strength of the effect cannot be compared with analgin or nuforen;
- Metragil denta. Pain relieving ointments that should be rubbed into the gums also allow you to forget about the existing problem for a while. But they can also have side effects, so you should consult a specialist before use.
Wisdom tooth grows during pregnancy
Usually wisdom teeth begin to grow at the age of 18-19, but sometimes this process occurs several years later. What to do if a wisdom tooth hurts during pregnancy? It is impossible to use ordinary means for relieving pain, because they can affect the health of the fetus. However, you shouldn't let things go by themselves, because sometimes the process of teething is accompanied by an inflammatory process.ami in the gums - pericoronitis.
There are two ways to solve this problem:
- Cutting the gums in the dentist's chair;
The second method is more gentle, so let's look at it in more detail. Rinsing should be done at least 3-4 times a day to relieve symptoms.
To do this, make a solution with the following components:
- 1 liter of warm boiled water;
- 1 tsp salt;
- 1 tsp soda.
Mix everything thoroughly and rinse for several days. If this method does not help, you will have to contact your dentist.
Folk remedies for toothache during pregnancy
What can pregnant women use for toothache at home? Unfortunately, there are no certain ointments or solutions to eliminate discomfort.
But there are a number of ways to relieve symptoms somewhat, namely:
- Sage and chamomile decoction;
- Tinctures with oak bark and string;
- Sea buckthorn oil;
- Yarrow and peppermint compresses.
These methods have no side effects, since they are made on the basis of only natural herbs.
There can be contraindications only if you have an allergic reaction to a particular type of plant.
what should not be used for toothache in pregnant women
Self-medication often leads to disastrous results, so experts pay attention to methods and means that should not be used by pregnant women in any case:
- Heating the inflamed gums by external means: heating pads and compresses;
- Applying analgesics directly to the gum or tooth;
- Taking alcoholic beverages by mouth to eliminate pathogenic flora;
- The use of drugs such as ketans, ketorol or baralgin.
And, most importantly, what should not be done in the event of discomfort in the oral cavity is to drag out a visit to the dentist.
If a problem occurs, it must be resolved promptly. Since there is too little calcium in the body of pregnant women, the destruction of enamel can occur in just a couple of weeks.
How can you relieve a toothache during pregnancy? Today, pharmaceuticals offer many effective remedies to reduce pain. However, before using any of them, you need to make sure that they will be safe in your particular case.
Often people have an allergic reaction to some of the components that make up the drugs, which can only aggravate the situation. Therefore, if you have any problems with your teeth, first of all contact a specialist.