Pregnancy Heartburn: Causes, Symptoms, and Foods that Help
How to quickly get rid of heartburn during pregnancy?
Even if you have never suffered from heartburn before, there is a chance that you will get to know it during pregnancy. So, more than half of expectant mothers suffer from a sour, sharp taste in the mouth and from a burning sensation in the stomach.
This most often happens after a meal - it, together with acid, is thrown back into the esophagus, irritating the delicate membrane of the esophagus, causing an unpleasant burning sensation.
Heartburn during pregnancy is a natural process that affects almost everyone and may not go away for the entire nine months of pregnancy.
Heartburn is not a disease, but a consequence of a disease. It is not indicative of serious problems with bearing the fetus. Sometimes acid dyspepsia is a consequence of prolapse of the uterus before childbirth or an increase in pressure on the stomach by the uterus, fetus during pregnancy.
Causes of Heartburn in Pregnancy
Why do pregnant women have heartburn? Progesterone is the culprit for heartburn during pregnancy. This hormone plays an exceptional role in maintaining pregnancy, relaxing the smooth muscles of the entire female body: both the gastrointestinal tract and the uterus.
Therefore, a large excess amount of gastric juice is secreted into the esophagus. The walls of the esophagus are in no way adapted to the effects of acid, so the release of stomach contents causes burning, discomfort and an unpleasant taste.
If at the beginning of pregnancy, heartburn is caused by a change in hormonal levels, then at a later date, the enlarged uterus presses on the stomach, forcing to splash out everything in the stomach.
The following factors can increase heartburn :
- Eating foods that increase the release of acid and increase the acid level in the stomach: coffee, carbonated drinks, hot spices, sour vegetables, berries, fruits;
- The use of antispasmodic drugs, they even more relax the muscles of the internal organs;
- Overeating, especially before bed;
- Sitting on the side increases the burning sensation;
- External pressure on the stomach with squeezing linen;
- Forward bending of the trunk.
heartburn treatment in pregnant women
We cannot remove the cause of heartburn. Why? Because it will not be possible to change the tone of the uterus and increase the pressure of the fetus on the stomach. How to remove heartburn during pregnancy? Let's try to at least relieve the burning sensation and remove unpleasant discomfort in the esophagus and stomach.
You will have to change your regime and food preferences. ATfirst of all, you need to pay attention to what you eat, how often and when.
If you want to get rid of the burning sensation, you will have to try to adhere to the following recommendations :
- Vegetables are recommended to be eaten boiled or pureed, apples are better baked;
- Refractory fats will have to be excluded from cooking: goose and lamb;
- It is better to eat in small portions, but often, for example, 5-6 times a day;
- It is necessary to add the use of foods that increase the alkaline environment. So you can balance the acidity in the stomach: eggs, cream, cottage cheese, sour cream;
- Including beets and prunes in your menu will relieve constipation, this will reduce intra-abdominal pressure;
- Abstaining from smoked foods, fatty and fried foods, mayonnaise, ketchup will have a beneficial effect on the acid-base environment in the stomach;
- Overeating before bed will cause your stomach to work harder and more acid. Dinner should be light, if possible not meaty;
- It is better to sit after eating, do not lie down for 40 minutes;
- Laying your head down while sleeping is better with another pillow to sleep with your head raised by 15-20 cm;
- Too much liquid with meals can dilute the juices and reduce their effectiveness.
To relieve heartburn, you need :
- Avoid wearing tight belts, underwear;
- Don't do abdominal exercises;
- Completely exclude deep torso bends. For example, if you need to fasten your shoes or lift something off the ground, it is better to squat so that your stomach does not roll over.
Of course, if heartburn in the early stages of pregnancy does not leave you for a long time, then it is better to seek medical advice, since the condition with dyspepsia can cause inflammation and irritation of the esophagus.
It is not worth using the medicine for heartburn during pregnancy on your own - not all drugs are safe, even if you used them before pregnancy. Now everything that you eat, drink, and your baby will receive.
Your doctor will prescribe you a remedy that will envelop your stomach and lower the acidity in it. The most effective antacid drug is Rennie . Almagel or Maalox are indicated for pregnancy.
Traditional medicine - soda - will not relieve you of the burning sensation, temporary relief will be replaced by a rebound effect: acid will begin to form even faster.
treatment of heartburn in pregnant women with folk remedies
Not always in case of violations of the acidic environment of the stomach, you need to immediately run for pills to the pharmacy. Alternative treatment has accumulated many ways to permanently and effectively cope with your dyspepsia.
For example, raw garlic will quickly remove all the symptoms of discomfort in your esophagus, chamomile tea will soothe the walls of an irritated stomach. What are the gifts of nature suitable for treatment, what else can pregnant women use for heartburn?
- Infusion of centaury ordinary, 2 tbsp. l. 3 to 4 times daily before meals. For 100 ml of boiling water add 2 tbsp. l. dry mix;
- Infusion of watch leaves 3-4 times a day for 1/2 tbsp. l. in 15 minutes before meals. Pour boiling water over five grams of leaves and leave in a sealed container;
- Seeds and dill seeds can stop heartburn for a while;
- Calamus powder should be taken 4 times a day for 1 / 3h. l. for a long time;
- Heather infusion effectively fights the burning sensation under the spoon. You can consume half a glass 3-4 times a day.
Drinking alkaline mineral water and nuts is considered effective for relieving heartburn. For some, an eggshell on the tip of a knife and a yellow apple will work as well. All medicines and folk remedies are suitable for the treatment of dyspepsia during pregnancy individually. It is impossible to strictly determine which of these remedies will be most effective.
In case of prolonged and painful state of discomfort, burning sensation, nausea, consultation with a therapist of the antenatal clinic is required.