How to make pom poms, Yayoi Kusama, and scrap cushion.
How to make pom-poms from threads and other scrap materials?
Sometimes when you look at a product, it seems that something is missing to improve it. Just one insignificant detail can radically change its appearance, the interior of the room. Such a detail can be pom-poms, which can be made from threads and other materials, and there are many ways to do this.
Anyone can perform such elements, even without being a master in the field of needlework.
pompons From threads
This is perhaps the most popular type of this product.
To make it you need the following materials:
- A compass that can be replaced with any item with a round base;
- Cardboard, which should be dense so that it does not bend when making pom-poms using threads;
- Knitting threads. They can be of any color, solid or mottled, but it is better if the yarn is not very thick.
The process is as follows.
- Using a compass and scissors or an object with a round base, cut out two circles with the same diameter, using cardboard, and then make holes in them that will coincide in location on both circles and have the same diameter.
- We connect two cardboard circles, wind the thread around them. This should be done in such a way that each layer is tightly adjacent to each other, but there is no overlap of one layer on top of another.
- If you want the product to turn out fluffy, do not limit yourself to one row of yarn - you should wind it in several more rows. For convenience, you can use a crochet hook to make it easier to pull the threads. But if the hole in the cardboard circles is wide enough, you can do without it. The number of rows of thread on the ring we made from cardboard will depend on how fluffy you want the pompom.
- Next, cut the threads along the line of the workpiece circle. Try to do this step carefully so you don't have to trim the edges of the garment later.
- Move the cardboard blanks a little to the sides, making sure that all the thread segments remain in place and do not break out of the total length.
- We continue to make pom-poms from yarn, wrap the middle of the product with the same thread as used to create its main part, and tie it.
- Using our fingers, we straighten the threads, making the product fluffy, cut off the extra houryarn and, if necessary, level the edges with scissors.
- If the pompom is so fluffy that it is not possible to remove the cardboard bases, remove them by cutting.
It also involves the use of threads. You only need scissors and your hands to make a yarn product.
The process is as follows.
- Straighten the left palm (if you are left-handed, then the right). It will serve as a base for winding the yarn, while keeping your fingers closed.
- We wind the yarn in the required amount (the more there is, the more fluffy the detail will be).
- Carefully remove the workpiece from the palm, wrap it with thread in the middle, cut the edges.
- Use your fingers to make the detail lush, cut off the excess ends.
Pom-poms made in this way differ from those made with cardboard circles in that they will have certain size restrictions due to the width of your palm, while the second method of production will allow you to make products of different diameters.
If you need small pompoms, you can wind the yarn not with 4 fingers, but with 3 or 2. For the same purpose, you can use a fork as a base.
Such details can be used to decorate a room, a New Year tree, a hall for a celebration, etc. It is important to consider which paper is best for making pompons, and many needlewomen agree that crepe paper is perfect for this .
Here are the materials you need:
- Crepe paper - for 1 product you will need 1 sheet of material, the size of which is 200x50 cm;
- Pencil (simple);
- Stationery clips - 2 pcs .;
- Wire thin;
The manufacturing algorithm is as follows.
- Cut a sheet of paper rolled into a roll in half, having previously found the middle using a ruler.
- Expand one of the two resulting rolls, fold it in half, and then in half again, you get 4 layers of material. We cut the edges of the paper, as a result of which we get 4 sheets, the format of which will be 50x25 cm. In the same way we divide the second roll.
- Cut off a wire about 25 cm long (no more), fix the sheets with clamps, cut teeth or semicircles on one long side with scissors.
- Next, to make paper pompons, we form an accordion from the last, but before doing this, remove the clips from the edges.
- Using the ruler, we find the middle of the resulting accordion, make a mark with a simple pencil in the form of a dot at this place. According to the mark, we wrap the accordion with wire, fix it with a knot.
- To hide the wire, tie a ribbon over it, we will hang it fromwhen it's ready.
- Straighten the pompom, alternately pulling and straightening each layer of the detail with our hands, starting from the top.
- Having reached the middle, turn the product over and continue to do the same manipulations, but in the opposite direction, so that the pompom turns out to be rounded.
- It may happen that the petals of the pompom will look in two different directions, but they will not form a solid ball. In this case, grasp the tape closer to the center, shake the product and, if necessary, straighten the paper with your hands so that you get a ball.
If you need to make a piece of jewelry that you will transport, for example, to decorate a banquet hall, make only blanks at home, and straighten them right on the spot.
pom-poms from packages
They can often be seen among the fans of certain sports teams. But pom-poms from bags can also be used for decoration purposes, so you should familiarize yourself with how to make them.
You will need the following materials:
- Packages in different colors;
- Ballpoint pen;
- Foil (can be replaced with colored paper);
- Scotch tape.
How it's done.
- Cut off the bottom of the bags, handles, use the rest to cut out rectangles. We measure about 10 cm along the long edge, which is necessary to form a pen, mark the line using a ballpoint pen. On the second long side, we make a transverse marking with a strip about 1 cm wide. Using scissors or a clerical knife, we make cuts, a little short of the handle.
- To make a product, you need several bags to make it look presentable. We carry out similar manipulations with several more packages.
- We connect all the packages with the corresponding sides to each other - handles to handles, petals to petals. We intertwine the handles in a bundle, fix the microphone pom-pom, wrapping it with tape.
In the same way, you can make a product using foil.
fur pom poms
Such details are often made to decorate hats, outerwear, jumpers, but you can use them for other purposes.
- Fur (either solid material or trimmings can be used);
- Ballpoint pen;
- Sewing threads, needle;
We do the job this way.
- Cut out the paper circle by choosing the desired diameter. Use it as a template to mark a circle on the back of the fur with a pen.
- We sew zigzag overcasting along the contour of the circle with ordinary threads, thereby making a segmentthe fur is round. Without cutting the threads, pull it up so that the fur tightens and takes the shape of a ball.
- Now we need to shape the insides of the future part.
- Roll up cotton wool (it can be replaced with padding polyester), it should also get the shape of a ball, which must be fixed in the middle with a tape.
- Next, we make pompons (or one element), placing a cotton ball inside the fur ball, sew a hole, leaving the free part of the ribbon outside. Try to pull the fur tightly so that the insides of the future jewelry are not visible, but you should not overdo it so that the fur is not damaged.
- We attach the resulting detail to the garment using the free end of the ribbon. If you decide to make a fur pompom for such a wardrobe item as a hat, do not leave a tail too large, and it must be completely placed in the fur part of the product. In this case, sew it on with the seam side.
All these simple tips will help you create simple and stylish elements that will be a great decoration for clothes, toys, interiors, etc.