What is Obesity - How to Treat Obesity
How and how to treat obesity?
To understand the scale of the problem of excess weight, you just need to look at the statistics. It turns out that every fifth resident of the United States suffers from obesity, and every second German lives with the same problem. The situation is much more difficult with children, who are more prone to the accumulation of body fat than adults.
According to the latest data, 36% of Italian teenagers are overweight, with 27% of children in Spain and 20% of the young population in the UK joining them.
What do we have to do with it if we live in Russia?
The fact is that a similar problem exists in our country, where 50% of the female population suffers from obesity, not to mention 30% of overweight men.
Why are we gaining excess weight?
Obesity treatment always begins with identifying its cause. As a rule, the main problem is that the human body receives many more calories than it uses in the form of energy.
Excess weight can also be the result of feeding back in childhood, when grandmothers and mothers tried hard to feed to a starving child that was completely childish food. Unaware of what they had done, parents themselves provoke an increase in the number of adipocides in the child's body - cells that produce fat.
Endocrine problems can also contribute:
- adrenal diseases;
- thyroid pathology;
- dysfunctions of the reproductive system, etc.
Mental activity, as strange as it sounds, is also harmful for weight loss. The fact is that an actively working brain simply needs an amazing amount of glucose, and this provokes a strong feeling of hunger.
Is there a chance of recovery?
Treatment of obesity at home or within the walls of special clinics is based on only one thing - daily and tough forcing yourself to change your eating habits and long-term lifestyle.
Achieve a positive result is only possible for those who begin to lose weight little by little, gradually increasing momentum and complicating the initial program. Basically, any weight loss course is based on two tools - movement and diet.
Now about what drugs for the treatment of obesity promise us. All of themattracts with the opportunity to build without leaving the cozy sofa, and without changing the contents of the refrigerator. Alas, a miracle will not happen, otherwise everyone would have walked smart and happy for a long time.
Want another argument? Take a look at the lean Hollywood stars who sweat for hours in gyms and spend thousands of dollars on the services of popular nutritionists.
Again, relying on weight loss massage , physiotherapy, liposuction or medication also makes no sense if all this is not supported by diet, physical activity and an understanding of the seriousness of what is happening.
Treatments for obesity
Morbid or visceral obesity can be eliminated only by an integrated approach to the problem. It all starts with a visit to an endocrinologist, a subsequent visit to a psychologist and a nutritionist. If necessary, a gynecologist, cardiologist, therapist and urologist are visited.
All these experts establish the possible causes of excess weight and give their recommendations for their elimination. The circle of doctors ends with a fitness trainer who determines your physical capabilities.
It is imperative to do tests for sugar content, sex hormones, food intolerances, leptin, and more.
Having received the results of laboratory solutions, all specialists jointly develop a private weight loss program, which usually consists of 3-6 months of weight loss itself, and six months of consolidating the achieved effect.
Depending on the degree of obesity, only one of the following methods can be used:
- Physical activity based on health status, diet, fitness level and other factors;
- Specific therapy aimed at eliminating diseases that provoke overweight;
- Treatment with drugs approved by the Ministry of Health;
- Cleansing the body through the introduction into the digestive tract of substances endowed with pronounced adsorbing properties;
- Stimulating immunity;
- Herbal treatment, involving the consumption of vitamin cocktails, various types of tea and medicinal plants, slimming homemade tinctures, and more. Obesity treatment with folk remedies sometimes gives even better effect than drug therapy, but this does not eliminate the need for medical supervision of the weight loss process and preliminary consultations with specialists;
- Private psychological correction program;
- Surgical and cosmetic procedures in the form of liposuction, mammoplasty, mesotherapy or mastectomy;
- Adjusted Diet.
What is the risk of lack of therapy?
Morbid, visceral and other obesity should be eliminated without fail, and the selected treatment helps to avoid the following health problems:
- Increased loads on blood vessels and heartmuscle, arrhythmias and varicose veins;
- Thrombosis, pulmonary embolism and increased heart rate;
- Reduced life expectancy by 14% -45% depending on the degree of obesity;
- Overload of joints and spinal column, degenerative changes in the joints of the legs, deformities and destruction of cartilage, secondary arthritis;
- Diabetes mellitus, which is 10 times more common in obese people.
All this is the most powerful stimulus that must push humanity to take active measures against excess weight.