Gingivitis symptoms, causes, risk factors & treatment | Bleeding gums , swellon gums
Gums bleed: symptoms, causes, treatment
If the gums are bleeding, this may signal the development of an inflammatory process in the oral cavity, resulting from exposure to harmful bacteria.
It is necessary to start treatment on time, otherwise periodontal disease or other dental disease may develop. Bleeding and pain in the area of the teeth is a characteristic symptom of gingivitis and periodontitis.
Accompanying symptoms and symptoms
The initial degree of inflammation (gingivitis) is characterized by the following symptoms:
- soft and hard plaque accumulates in the area of the teeth;
- gums bleed when brushing teeth;
- the marginal gingiva swells, redness or blue discoloration appears in its area;
- gums hurt while eating, when cleaning the mouth;
- Bad breath is constantly observed from the mouth.
This inflammation can last for years. Moreover, from time to time there are periods of exacerbation and subsidence of symptoms. Treatment of the disease should be comprehensive, including drugs of traditional and traditional medicine.
Therefore, you should not be treated only at home.
It is important to consult a specialist in time, otherwise there is a possibility of disease progression. In this case, the inflammation will affect not only the marginal part of the gums, but also go to the bone tissue of the teeth.
This will lead to the fact that gingivitis develops into periodontitis, characterized by the following signs:
- in addition to swelling and pain in the teeth, periodontal pockets appear, inside of which there are purulent contents;
- the roots of the teeth are destroyed, so they become mobile and hurt;
- the teeth separate, holes appear between them.
Reasons for the development of the problem
Why do my gums bleed?
Various reasons can contribute to the development of this phenomenon. This often happens due to the regular use of bleaching pastes with a high percentage of chemical elements. Bleeding can also occur as a result of damage to the mouth with solid food, dental floss or a toothpick.
But there are more serious reasons why the gums begin to bleed:
- Diseases of the oral cavity. Appear due to poor hygieneoral cavity. Food particles get stuck between the teeth and bacteria develop on them. Subsequently, soft plaque or tartar forms.
- Chronic or infectious diseases.
- Vitamin K deficiency. It improves blood clotting, so if its content in the body is insufficient, then the gums bleed.
- Pregnancy. Often, pregnant women have dental problems. The reasons for this phenomenon lie in the change in the hormonal background of the expectant mother. The gums become sensitive, sore, and easily hurt. But the problem goes away by itself after giving birth.
Overview of essential treatments
Many people have bleeding gums when brushing their teeth. Treatment in this case consists of a set of procedures. First of all, the doctor should remove hard deposits and soft plaque from the teeth. Then anti-inflammatory therapy is carried out. In order for the effect of the procedures to be preserved, the patient must observe oral hygiene at home.
Removal of hard and soft deposits
The procedure is performed by a specialist in a dental office using a special ultrasonic handpiece. Its tip vibrates at the frequency of ultrasound. This vibration is transmitted to the teeth, which destroys the hard plaque. You can also remove soft particles at home. In this case, you should start using regular toothpaste and floss.
Treatment is prescribed only after removing all hard deposits from the teeth. In rare cases, it is possible to prescribe therapy even during the procedure, if the doctor decides so. The course of treatment should last 10 days.
If the inflammation was mild, then the doctor may prescribe anti-inflammatory therapy at home.
It consists in rinsing with Chlorhexidine and applying Holisal Gel . But before using these drugs, you should read the instructions.
This processing can be done independently at home. The process is performed 2 times a day for a week.
In the morning and in the evening, rinse your mouth with Chlorhexidine, and then lubricate the oral cavity with an applicator. It is advisable not to eat for 2-3 hours after the procedure.
There are a huge number of remedies for bleeding gums. However, it should be borne in mind that using only one toothpaste will not help cure the disease. After all, the treatment should be comprehensive, including medical therapy, oral hygiene and the use of folk remedies. There are no pastes that can remove hard dental deposits. Only a dentist can perform the procedure.
But there are pastes that can temporarily eliminate the symptoms of bleeding, the gums do not hurt, the inflammation disappears. However, when using such funds without treatment by a specialist, withsigns of the disease will decrease, but it will progress imperceptibly. And periodontitis is much more difficult to treat than gingivitis.
If the gums hurt and bleed, then it is recommended to use folk remedies. You can prepare such drugs at home. But they should be used not for the purpose of treatment, but for prevention.
These tools include: rinsing the mouth with chamomile and eucalyptus infusions, making ointments from calendula or nettle leaves, toothpastes with herbal ingredients.
- For the preparation of chamomile infusion, take 1 tbsp. flowers, which are filled with a glass of boiling water. The resulting solution should be left to cool completely, and then strain. You can use the infusion in an hour.
- Calendula ointment is prepared as follows: several flowers are crushed to a powdery state. Then they are mixed with petroleum jelly and honey in a teaspoon. Use this ointment after brushing your teeth.
You can prevent bleeding gums at home. It is important to maintain good oral hygiene. It must be cleaned in the morning and evening. The process should last at least 2-3 minutes using the correct toothbrush (not too hard or soft). It is best to opt for herbal fluoride-free toothpastes.
You can also make a healing paste at home. To do this, several tablets of activated carbon are crushed to a powder state, 1 tsp is added to them. hydrogen peroxide and half a tsp. the usual toothpaste. You can use this remedy no more than twice a week.
If the gums bleed when flossing, then it is better to refuse to use such a hygiene product. If you wish, you can consult a dentist who will give advice on the correct purchase of dental floss.
Therefore, bleeding gums are often due to serious dental diseases.
You should not treat them at home, as diseases can progress imperceptibly, which leads to more serious problems. To avoid bleeding, it is advisable to practice good oral hygiene and visit your dentist regularly.