What Is Dysgraphia in Kids?
Dysgraphia and dyslexia: what are the consequences of impairment?
Some parents notice that their children have problems with schooling from early grades. They are expressed in low academic performance, problems with reading, writing. Sometimes adults look for reasons in a child's unwillingness to learn, but the problem may lie in dysgraphia and dyslexia, and to understand whether this is so, you need to know what it is.
Having identified these ailments, you need to immediately take measures that will get rid of them. Untimely help leads to the fact that a person can live with a problem all his life.
What is it ?
Many parents did not hear about such ailments until their child encountered them. Speaking about what dyslexia and dysgraphia are, one must immediately say that their presence is not at all evidence of a child's mental retardation.
Dysgraphia is understood as a partial violation of written speech, in which the child makes mistakes, swapping letters or syllables, skips them. First of all, we are talking about letters and sounds similar in spelling or pronunciation.
In some cases, children can write letters upside down, mirrored, or with additional elements added to them.
Skipping letters, replacing them with others, rearranging syllables - these are the symptoms of dyslexia, which is a violation of the reading process.
Signs of these ailments are also:
- Poor vocabulary;
- Illiterate written speech;
- Illegal speaking;
- Difficulty expressing your own thoughts.
These two problems tend to manifest themselves at the same time. The child cannot correctly perceive sounds by ear, due to which he writes and reads the corresponding letters incorrectly.
The bizarre pronunciation and spelling of words that characterize dysgraphia and dyslexia, unfortunately, do not always become a cause for concern for parents, especially when it comes to a student of elementary grades. It is important to understand that at the first sign of these problems, you should immediately contact an experienced specialist. First of all, it can be a psychotherapist or a neuropathologist.
Writing and reading skills are consolidated by the age of 9-10, and if there are violations of these processes, they will only take root, respectively, the problem will worsen, and it will be much more difficult to solve it over time.
Reasons for violations
These phenomena do not arise by themselveson their own, there are a number of provocateurs that can trigger them.
Dysgraphia and dyslexia can be caused by the following factors:
- Insufficiently formed visual analysis, impaired development of sound pronunciation, caused by impaired phonemic perception;
- Genetic predisposition. If the mastery of writing and speaking skills was impaired by someone close to the child, in particular, by the parents, this problem may also overtake him;
- Habitual disordered eye movements. The phenomenon can be observed if the baby has developed a habit from childhood to do something against the background of distractions (for example, when the TV is on). Because of this, it is later difficult for him to focus his attention and gaze on any activity, including reading;
- Raising in a bilingual family. In this case, in the process of writing and speaking, letters and sounds are transferred from one language to another.
In some cases, dysgraphia has something in common with dysorphography. With this problem, the child owns the spelling rules in theory, but cannot always apply them in practice, notice and correct mistakes in his written speech.
Dyslexia and talent
Many popular personalities suffered from this ailment.
Which famous people have experienced dyslexia?
- Years of study at school for a long time called the most terrible years in his life G. H. Andersen. Because of his illness, studies were very difficult for him. The future writer was taken from school by his mother. The proofreaders who worked with him claim that G. H. Andersen never learned to write correctly;
- Agatha Christie could not get rid of illiteracy, which, however, did not prevent her works from becoming world famous herself. Due to her illness, the writer, like many other famous people with such a diagnosis, also never finished school;
- At 16, she refused further education and Whoopi Goldberg;
- Keanu Reeves turned out to be more successful in the fight against dyslexia, who nevertheless decided to give up his studies at the age of 15 and devoted himself to acting;
- At the age of 16, due to dyslexia, she refused further education and Marilyn Monroe;
- The same diagnosis was made to such divas as Keira Knightley, Liv Tyler.
The list of dyslexics includes such famous people as V.V. Mayakovsky, K. Tarantino, Walt Disney, Leonardo da Vinci, Albert Einstein, Dustin Lee Hoffman. There were also individuals who are included in the list of the most successful people in the world - N. Rockefeller, G. Ford, B. Gates.
Treatment should be started with a visit to the doctor. Treatment is usually carried out with the use of games, exercises.
Ronald Davis Dyslexia Treatment
It is often used by modern professionals to combat dyslexia and dysgraphia.
The author himself, who created this technique, andchalk such problems, and he managed to get rid of them by the age of 38. Ronald Davis organized a center for the correction of these ailments. He also created a series of books - Gift of Dyslexia and Gift of Learning . In them, the author gives step-by-step instructions, following which parents can help their child get rid of the problem.
Due to the fact that ailments can be observed not only in children, but also in adults, the correctional program of this author is designed to treat people aged 6-70 years.
Ronald Davis' method suggests eliminating the phenomena in stages:
- To begin with, the author recommends assessing the ability to perceive. To eliminate the phenomenon, you need to know how developed the child's figurative thinking is, and it depends on this whether he is able to imagine a particular object, for example, by closing his eyes;
- Setting focus . Distorted perception, disorientation are the main provocateurs of dyslexia. We are talking about jumping letters, perceiving them in an inverted or mirrored form, etc. Ronald Davis's method to eliminate such a phenomenon as dyslexia involves a person establishing control over disorientation. It is important to remember that it should not be suppressed, as it is also a talent if you know how to control it;
- Unloading. Dyslexics need it because they cannot stay in focus for a long time ;
- Finding the optimal orientation point. Without it, it is difficult to get rid of the feeling of confusion;
- Coordination. The technique for eliminating the phenomenon will not have a result if the dyslexic cannot distinguish between right and left, and with this ailment, difficulties with orientation in space are often encountered;
- Mastering symbols. For this, games, exercises are used;
- Easy reading. The Ronald Davis methodology offers several steps to master it. The first is to teach to glide from left to right. Further treatment of dyslexia according to Davis involves learning to recognize groups of letters included in one word. At the third stage, you need to work on recognition and comprehension of the reading before the punctuation mark;
- Match characters to word meanings. It is important that the child not only recognizes symbols, knows how to put them into words, but also understands the meaning of the material read. This will require working with a dictionary, learning words in a playful way, in practice.
There are a number of techniques that speech therapists use when dealing with an illness. Here are some exercises that parents can easily do at home.
- Search for a specific letter among others in a text or sentence;
- Adding a written letter to a printed one (or vice versa);
- Search for a misspelledletters in a text or sentence;
- Cutting letters out of paper, tracing their outlines on top of those already written;
- Find letters with missing elements and add the last ones;
- Alphabet . This is a game for which you need to spread out or write on paper randomly all the letters of the alphabet in advance, and then ask the student to name them all alphabetically, with the obligatory indication of each of them. This game can be used as an exercise in the classroom to eliminate dyslexia both in a group of children and in an individual mode.
Parents of dyslexics need to know that the illness causes discomfort in the child, and this can later turn into a violation of the emotional state.
In this regard, the problem must be dealt with as soon as it was noticed, and it is better if the work is carried out simultaneously by parents and teachers.