How to Get Rid of Pet Allergies | Stephen Dreskin, MD, PhD, Allergy and Immunology | UCHealth
Dog allergy - what to do?
If, when an animal appears in the house, some of the residents show symptoms of a disease that cannot be cured by conventional methods, it can be assumed that these are signs of an allergy to dog.
You should pay attention to the symptoms that are:
- swelling of the nasopharyngeal mucosa;
- sore throat;
- desire to constantly sneeze;
- the appearance of a transparent nasal secretion;
- watery eyes;
- itching and rashes.
In severe cases, Quincke's edema and bronchospasm may appear.
It is quite simple to understand that this is an allergy - after taking antihistamines, the malaise disappears for a while, and then resumes again.
What to do in such a situation? Give an animal to good hands ? Maybe there are ways that the owner will not have to give up the dog, and the allergy symptoms can be eliminated?
Why dog allergy
Many people suffer from animal allergy, and allergy is caused not by wool - as is traditionally believed - but by the reaction of the human body to a foreign protein. This is the natural discharge of pets - saliva, sebaceous secretions, drops of urine, secretions of the lacrimal glands, discharge from the genitals.
The amount of this protein depends on the size, breed, conditions of detention, sexual activity and belonging of the animal, its state of health. They say that the allergy to the dog's fur is because all this secretion settles on the animal's skin. The condition of the human flock can be aggravated by the presence of pollen, dust and toxins in the air in the wool
Determining whether a dog is allergic is quite simple. Allergists ask the owners to give up contact with the pet for a month - during this time the body is restored, and all substances that cause the reaction are completely removed in the apartment.
If the condition returned to normal on its own, without treatment, and then, when the animal was returned back, it worsened again, then we can conclude that the dog is allergic.
When an allergy to a pet manifests itself only in spring or summer, or when moving to another place, negative reactions disappear, we can conclude that the allergy is not to the animal, but to pollen or air pollution that settles at a certain timein a specific location. In this case, you need to devote more time to caring for the dog, and you won't have to give it up.
Ways to Reduce Your Dog Allergies
Leave your pet or give it away?
It all depends on how the dog allergy manifests itself. Edema, bronchospasm, anaphylactic shock, severe dermatological reactions - you will have to get rid of the dog. You can not leave the dog if children are suffering.
In other cases, you can try to fix the situation.
- It is necessary to carefully monitor the health of the pet - to vaccinate on time, take him to preventive examinations. Healthy dogs excrete much less aggressive protein.
- You should analyze what you feed the animal. The quality of the discharge depends largely on the nature of the food.
- In some cases, animals have to be spayed to avoid host allergies.
- You should take care of the coat very carefully - bathe the dog regularly, comb it out.
- There are special anti-allergic sprays that are applied to the dog's coat - you need to purchase and use them.
- The house will have to change the interior a little - to give up fleecy carpets and heavy curtains.
- Prevent the animal from lying on the bed, entering the bedroom.
- You need to take care of yourself more carefully - immediately put things in the closet so that the dog does not think to play with them; after contact with your pet, wash your hands, do not press your face against the skin, do not kiss the animal.
- We recommend wet cleaning every day.
It is advisable to wear clothes that are easily washed. If there is an unexpected contact - the dog cuddled once more - then you should immediately change clothes and wash things. Preference should be given to clothes made from natural fabrics. Combining organic protein with synthetics can cause unpredictable results.
Allergy treatment must be entrusted to a competent specialist. By adjusting the hormonal background and antihistamines taken in the course, with the help of a complex effect, you can reduce allergic manifestations to a safe level.
Preventive measures - wet cleaning, cleaning carpets from wool, combing and bathing a dog - cannot be shifted to an allergic person. In this case, negative manifestations will only intensify, and the animal will still have to be abandoned.
Requirements for dogs for allergy sufferers
Breeders say there are dog breeds that do not cause allergies.
This is a publicity stunt - there are no dogs that don't breathe or defecate. During normal life, protein compounds are always produced. (By the way, humans also have them, and cases of intolerance of one human individual to another also occur).
There are the most dangerous breeds that cause allergies in humans.Easy reactions:
- mastiffs, bulldogs of all kinds and sizes and kinds of dogs that are constantly drooling;
- short-haired individuals that shed all year round - short needles get stuck in furniture and literally saturate the air - getting rid of them is very difficult;
- large animals - they release more allergen than small ones;
- talkative dogs - when barking, drool flies in all directions.
In many ways, the ability to cause allergies in the owner is determined by the nature of the pet.
If the dog follows commands, does not comb all the bushes and surroundings in search of something interesting, then on his own skin he will bring less allergens into the house.
Requirements for hypoallergenic breeds.
- Moulting at a certain period. Wool is combed daily
- Small size
Ideally, if the pet almost does not shed and its fur does not scatter around the room. Hair that has been prepared for the change remains on the comb and is disposed of.
Dogs, which are constantly barking, spray saliva in all directions - it settles on the fur and on surrounding objects, which increases the possibility of allergies. An allergy-friendly dog has its own merits and will not bark for no reason, especially at home.
American and English dog clubs are seriously studying the issue of dog allergy. Allergy is one of the first places in terms of prevalence among chronic diseases, and very many people because of it do not have the opportunity to enjoy communication with animals.
After an in-depth analysis of the quality of the breeds, allergy sufferers were asked to choose their pets from the following list:
- Bichon Frize - small size, easy care, no shedding;
- poodle - the same qualities;
- Terriers - Yorkshire, Welsh, Border, Wheat and others - the hair is removed during brushing;
- Schnauzer is a larger animal, but the coat does not fly, it is easy to educate;
- dwarf spitz;
- American Hairless Terrier and some other breeds.
The Mexican Hairless Dog and the Chinese Crested Dog are suitable for keeping allergy sufferers only when they are completely healthy. Unfortunately, this is rare.
These dogs are also susceptible to allergies, and they respond to contact with irritants with a skin reaction - the appearance of dermatitis. Particles of peeling skin can provoke another attack in the owner.
If you have a history of dog allergy, you should follow the rules of living with animals in any case - even if you choose the most hypoallergenic breed.
Control over your own healthThe health and condition of the dog, regular cleaning and ventilation of the room - only these components will help to cope with severe allergic symptoms.