Demodex Mange Around The Eye
Demodecosis (ophthalmodemodecosis) is a chronic disease caused by the tyroglyphoid mites of the genus Demodex parasitizing in the body. They are 0.1-0.5 mm in size, so they are invisible without a microscope. The parasite feeds on dead cells and sebum, so it often chooses people with oily skin. Its favorite habitat is the eyelids and lash line. What are the main symptoms of eye demodicosis and how to treat the disease, we will tell further.
Under normal conditions, the tick does not show its presence, but if the human immune system fails, there is a sharp increase in the number of pathogenic microorganisms.
The waste products of ticks cause severe allergic reactions, itching and inflammation.
A long treatment will be required, the basis of therapy is antibacterial drops, lotions and ointments.
Demodectic mange symptoms eye
The demodex mite causes many unpleasant sensations and provokes the development of the inflammatory process:
- inflammation of the lids;
- rapid eye fatigue;
- a collection of scales between the lashes causing them to stick together;
- redness of the eyeball;
- severe itching and burning;
- purulent crusts form along the edges of the eyelids.
Symptoms are especially noticeable in the morning, at the peak of tick activity, purulent sacs form on the eyelash follicles. Without the necessary treatment (drops, rinsing, tablets), the signs of the disease intensify. Eyes become sensitive to light, eyelashes fall out.
All symptoms are pronounced and painful, so do not postpone a visit to an ophthalmologist. The doctor will examine the eyes, prescribe a laboratory test to detect a tick, and select a course of therapy.
Causes of the disease
The main cause of eye demodicosis is a decrease in immunity. The vulnerable state is caused by:
- infectious diseases;
- emotional stress and stress;
- hormonal disorders;
- climate change, heat and humidity;
- high room temperature.
The main ways the parasite gets on the skin are:
- visiting public baths and saunas, the mite actively reproduces in conditions of high temperature and humidity;
- the use of someone else's cosmetics, towels, bed linen, infection can occur in reas a result of using non-sterile instruments in a beauty salon;
- contact with a sick animal or person.
How to treat eye demodicosis
Noticing the first unpleasant symptoms (itching, burning, swelling of the eyelids), you should consult a doctor. If you start treatment on time, you can quickly alleviate the patient's condition. Confirmation of the diagnosis is the detection of more than 3 mites on one eyelash.
To achieve a lasting positive result, a complex treatment of demodicosis of the eyes, ears and other areas of the face is prescribed. It is accompanied by the observance of strict rules of personal hygiene (change of linen and towels, processing them with a hot iron). The funds used are aimed at restoring the skin and killing ticks.
Eye drops from demodicosis will help speed up the elimination of inflammation and itching. The use of drops is especially important for complications such as infection.
Among the effective drugs:
- Taphazol - drops have anti-mite, antiseptic, anti-allergic action. The course of treatment is 14 days. Also, drops are used as a prophylactic agent against self-infection.
- Colbiocin - drops for demodicosis of the eyes, made on the basis of antibiotics. Safe remedy recommended for children.
- Eubetal is a complex preparation with antibacterial and antimicrobial action. Drops are used during the day, at night they are replaced by ointments.
- Prenacid - eye drops with a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. They are buried every day in the conjunctival sac.
- Carbohol - drops are applied to the lash line and along the edges of the eyelids. The agent destroys the causative agent of the disease.
- Antihistamine eye drops help relieve irritation, these include Akular , Okumetil .
Ointments are used for external destruction of parasites:
- Metronidazole - the ointment paralyzes the muscles of the ticks. The product is applied to the eyelids with your fingertips and rubbed in gently with massaging movements. The procedure is repeated twice a day - in the morning and in the evening. The ointment reduces itching and flaking of the skin. It penetrates through the shell into the parasite's body and paralyzes its systems.
- Ichthyol and zinc ointments are traditionally used in the treatment of disease. They accelerate skin regeneration and have antiseptic properties.
Every day, the base of the eyelashes is treated with an antibacterial gel or alcohol tincture of calendula and eucalyptus. Also shown is a massage of the eyelids, it allows you to remove scales and tick secretions.
Ointments, gels and tinctures are applied to the base of the eyelashes with a cotton swab. It's important to use it only once.
Medikame treatmentntozny means lasts from one month to six months.
To make it effective, the immune system is strengthened in parallel. The patient is prescribed vitamins, immunostimulants, a special diet.
Treatment with folk remedies
Herbal infusions, ointments and decoctions are no less effective means of fighting ticks than medicines. Complex treatment with folk recipes can soothe irritated skin and relieve unpleasant itching.
Healing broth of wormwood is the main remedy for eliminating the symptoms of demodicosis. The leaves of the medicinal herb are rich in phytoncides, tannins, acids and absintin. The bitter plant perfectly relieves the body of parasites and harmful microorganisms.
To get rid of the tick, you need a wormwood decoction:
- 2 tbsp. spoonful of dry herbs pour 1 liter of boiling water;
- keep on low heat for 5 minutes;
- leave in a warm place (thermos) for 2-3 hours.
The course of admission is designed for 6 days, every day a fresh broth is prepared.
To achieve a pronounced effect, you must drink the product according to a special scheme:
- 1 day - 100 ml every hour;
- Day 2 - 100 ml each in 2 hours;
- 3-6 days - 100 ml every 3 hours.
The complexity of treatment is to comply with the system, you will have to wake up at night to take the drug.
Eye ointment can not only be bought at the pharmacy, but made at home. To do this you need:
- Trichopolum tablets, powdered;
- art. a spoonful of castor oil.
The ingredients are mixed and applied to the eyelid area before bed. The composition is washed off in the morning.
Tar soap is a proven natural remedy of a green pharmacy. It is made on the basis of birch tar, which has disinfecting and healing properties.
Dermatologists recommend soap for many skin diseases, with demodicosis, it kills ticks, relieves itching and regenerates the skin. Soap is used daily for hygiene procedures, and at night, a soap solution is applied to the eyelids.
As a prophylaxis of eye demodicosis, simple rules should be followed:
- do not use feather pillows;
- wash thoroughly in hot water and iron bed linen;
- change towels and pillowcases frequently;
- do not use other people's cosmetics, glasses;
- reduce sun exposure;
- Eliminate spicy foods and alcohol from the diet.
Compliance with the recommendation will help avoid recurrence of a chronic disease.