How To Make Quark Or Cheese From Kefir
Cooking homemade cheese from milk and kefir
Homemade cheese is a delicious and healthy snack that doesn't require any special culinary skills. It can consist of milk, fermented baked milk, sour cream, cream and other dairy products.
The main advantage of homemade food is the absence of taste stabilizers, preservatives and harmful palm oil. In this article, we will get acquainted with several interesting recipes for preparing a dairy product, as well as learn about the important intricacies of the process of making cheese.
What types of cheese can you make?
There are at least 100 homemade cheese recipes, each with its own characteristics.
Therefore, you can independently prepare not only traditional hard cheese, but also the following types:
- cream cheese;
Some of the above dairy snacks can be used as a base for making sweet desserts, pastries, creams and toppings. In addition, homemade food can include nuts, dried herbs, oriental spices, pickled or fried mushrooms, and even bacon bits.
The subtleties of making cheese
Whichever recipe you choose, there are a few important things to keep in mind that will make the product really tasty:
- For the preparation of the snack, it is advisable to use homemade milk with high fat content. At the same time, it is better not to take UHT dairy products at all;
- To really ripen the cheese, cook at least ½ kg of mass;
- The hardness of the mass depends on the degree of pressure of the press;
- It is advisable not to store homemade cheese in the refrigerator for more than 7 days;
- The whey that remains after straining can be used to make pancakes, okroshka or dough.
It is also worth noting that a self-prepared snack can be stored in a cotton cloth, but not in a plastic bag. The milk mass must breathe , then its taste is not lost.
What can you cook cheese with?
If you first decided to cook food, but you do not have special forms, you can use these types of dishes:
- enamel bowl;
- saucepan (preferably with a non-stick layer);
- gauze folded in several layers.
You will also need some kind of heavy object that can be used as a press. Then the excess whey will drain from the mass faster and you will get a beautifully shaped head of homemade cheese.
How to make Adyghe cheese?
The proposed recipe for homemade cheese made from low-fat milk and kefir is good because it is not necessary to use pepsin, a gastric enzyme, as a hardener . It is not uncommon for novice cooks to overdo the dosage of this ingredient, which makes the appetizer look like rubber.
So, to prepare the product, we need:
- 3 liters of low-fat milk;
- 2-3 tsp salt;
- 1 liter of fatty kefir.
- Pour kefir into an enameled saucepan and put on a small fire;
- When the curd mass has separated from the whey, strain the liquid, setting the curd aside;
- Then the serum is deliberately made sour, leaving it at room temperature for a couple of days;
- After that, milk is poured into a metal container and brought to a boil;
- Then whey is sent there, after which they continue to cook the milk mixture over low heat;
- When the cheese rises up, it is separated from the whey and hung in gauze over the sink to drain the excess liquid;
- Then I form a round head from the mass and put it in a low container under a press;
- Then the semi-finished product is put into the refrigerator for 4-5 hours, after which you can taste the finished product.
Homemade Mascarpone Recipe
Cheese made from kefir and sour cream has a fairly liquid consistency, so it is convenient to spread it on bread. In addition, this delicacy is often used as the main ingredient for making sauces and spreads.
To make a homemade mascarpone, we need to take:
- 1 liter of milk;
- 1.5 kg sour cream (fat content from 20%);
- 2 tbsp. l. lemon juice.
- Sour cream and milk are poured into a sufficiently deep container, after which the contents are stirred until a homogeneous mass is formed;
- Then the saucepan with the mixture is heated over low heat to 75 degrees, stirring constantlyoh;
- Then lemon juice is poured into the mixture and wait until the mass is curdled;
- Remove the heat under the pan, but leave it on the stove for a few more minutes;
- In the meantime, take a colander and put cheesecloth folded in several layers on it;
- Put the curd mass into a colander and wait for the whey to drain;
- After about an hour, the cheese product is squeezed out, but lightly;
- The mascarpone can then be transferred to a container with an airtight lid and refrigerated for a couple of hours.
By adding sour cream, the appetizer turns out to be very tender and airy. If someone found this recipe too simple, use chopped nuts or dried herbs as fillers. These ingredients will definitely not spoil the treat.
How to make ricotta?
Ricotta is one of the most beloved dairy products of Italians. Homemade cheese is made from milk and kefir, although the original recipe uses whey instead of the first ingredient. Nevertheless, even a small amendment to the recipe does not implore the taste of the cheese mass.
To make it, we need to stock the following ingredients:
- 150 ml fat kefir;
- 1 tsp granulated sugar;
- 1 liter of homemade milk;
- 2 tbsp. l. lemon juice;
- A pinch of salt.
- Heat milk in an enamel saucepan, then add all the other ingredients to it;
- The milkshake is thoroughly mixed and waiting for it to curd;
- Then the resulting curd is thrown into a colander and hung in gauze over the sink.
In this case, the product is crumbly, so there is no need to press down on it with a press. You can keep the snack in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Cream cheese recipe
Those who are cool about hard cheeses will love this recipe for making curd cream.
In order to make a delicious treat ourselves, we need the following components:
- 1 liter of kefir;
- 1 liter of fermented baked milk;
- ½ homemade milk.
- All ingredients are mixed in a separate bowl at once;
- Then put a colander on the pan and put cheesecloth folded in three layers;
- I pour the milk mixture into the prepared colander and close the lid, after which the whole structure is sent to the refrigerator for a day;
- During the specified time, all the serum will drain out of the mass and only curd cream will remain on the gauze.
The cream can be spread on bread or used as an interlayer for pies and savory cakes.
Of the specified number of ingredients, the output will receiveno less than 500 g of curd snack.
You don't need to have a rich culinary experience to make delicious cheese from kefir and homemade milk.
The recipes proposed in this article are quite simple to perform, so not only professionals, but also simply gourmets who want to enjoy the taste of a natural cheese snack will cope with the task.