Red Blood in Stool - Causes and When to see a Doctor
Blood from the anus: threatening symptoms
A very small number of people, when blood appears on toilet paper, go to the doctor, believing that the symptom does not carry any danger - several thin vessels burst with a characteristic effort, will heal by itself. Meanwhile, bleeding from the anus may indicate life-threatening diseases.
Types of bleeding
Blood from the anus can slightly stain toilet paper after each bowel movement, or it may not stop for a long time, forcing the use of pads. It may be bright or dark and may be painful, but bleeding may also be painless.
The causes of blood from the anus during bowel movements are always required to find out and try to eradicate this phenomenon. It can be a sign of dangerous conditions in the body and the beginning of many diseases.
To know how to treat a disease in which blood flows from the anus, you must first determine what this phenomenon is associated with.
It can be assumed from which part of the intestine it is secreted, by the color of the blood, its type and the intensity of bleeding.
The most common causes of bleeding are as follows:
- Anal fissure. Bleeding starts when you have a bowel movement, may leave marks on toilet paper, or be severe enough. Usually it is accompanied by painful sensations in the anus, and no sagging hemorrhoids are detected. The blood is bright, which indicates its vascular origin;
- With hemorrhoids, the blood is also bright, but more often scanty. It can be seen on toilet paper, on linen, clots stick to the formed feces. When a hemorrhoid ruptures, bleeding is profuse and it is difficult to stop it. It stands out not only after a bowel movement, but also with increased physical activity;
- Scarlet clots adhere to stool when bleeding from diverticula. The bleeding itself quickly stops, but the disease is accompanied by abdominal pain and fever. It occurs more often in men over 50;
- If blood from the anus flows out periodically painlessly, in a thin stream, this may indicate polyps - a precancerous condition of the rectum. If such phenomena are repeated - albeit rarely - it is imperative to contact a proctologist. Removal of the polyp can stop cell degeneration departmentand the rectum is malignant;
- Rectal cancer may not manifest itself for a long time, except for severe bleeding. Their nature can be abundant or scarce. It is necessary to consult a doctor immediately, since other symptoms: weight loss, low-grade fever, pain, - occur in frequent cases already at the stage of metastasis;
- Recurrent bloody diarrhea with clots that accompanies abdominal pain, localized more on the right, may be a symptom of Crohn's disease. The blood can be scarlet or dark, after bloody diarrhea, the temperature rises. This disease requires specific treatment;
- Sudden bloody diarrhea with severe fever, when stools are excreted with pus, mucus and blood streaks, and the temperature rises to 38-40 ° C - a common symptom of infectious diseases - dysentery, salmonellosis, amebiasis. Additional symptoms are fever, nausea, vomiting, increased sweating with cold sweats;
- Scanty bleeding, accompanied by pus, not associated with defecation, itching in the anus, redness of the surrounding area with rashes of a different nature can be signs of a genital infection that develops in the rectum. This is how gonorrhea and trichomoniasis manifest themselves;
- Helminthic invasions also occur with itching and hyperemia of the outer region of the anus, but the bleeding during them is drip, scanty, the blood is dark.
You should always find out exactly , why blood is coming from the lower rectum. It not only testifies to the pathological processes occurring in the body, but also causes anemia. This condition in children has a negative effect on physical development.
Special conditions bleeding
If a small child has blood from the anus, and it is visible in the feces in the form of streaks, while the baby is gaining weight poorly, then it may be an allergy to complementary foods or lactose deficiency. In these conditions, the stool is greenish, frothy and liquid, the baby does not gain weight well.
Volvulus in a child is accompanied by feces in the form of raspberry jelly - the stool is interspersed with fibrin clots - this condition is more common in artificial children. After such emptying, gas production stops.
The first signs of violations occurring in the child's body are behavioral changes: capriciousness, seemingly unreasonable crying. It is always necessary to pay attention when children demonstrate uncharacteristic behavior - otherwise they cannot complain to adults about their poor health.
Bleeding from the anus of a different nature in older children has the same causes as similar conditions in adults.
During pregnancy, women often have spotting. In most cases, the discharge of blood from the anus during pregnancy causes hemorrhoids. Its formation causes an increased load and an hourconstipation.
It is necessary to regulate the condition by changing the diet - introduce more cereals, fruits, vegetables - foods containing fiber, laxative foods, drink more fluids. If hemorrhoids have formed, then the doctor should be warned before giving birth. If the hemorrhoid bursts, it will cause additional blood loss.
All other causes of bleeding from the anus in women do not differ from those that occur in men.
In patients with HIV, the symptoms of bleeding from the anus are in most cases the same as in people without this diagnosis. But they must remember that in this state the development of the disease can be lightning fast. In addition, the release of blood may indicate a sharp decrease in coagulability and an increase in the fragility of blood vessels, which should be reported to the attending physician.
In older adults, rectal bleeding and abdominal pain may indicate the onset of ischemic colitis.
Diagnosis of diseases
To correctly treat a disease, you need to decide on a diagnosis. To install it, the doctor:
- conducts visual inspection;
- orders tests.
In the case of blood excreted in liquid stool, hospitalization in an infectious diseases hospital may be indicated.
Diagnostic proctological examinations may include: fecal tests, irrigoscopy, sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy.
When is urgent medical attention needed?
Urgent care is required in the following conditions:
- Heavy bleeding after or without bowel movements does not stop for more than 10 minutes.
- Bleeding is accompanied by fever and fever.
- Symptoms: bloody diarrhea, fever, weakness, abdominal pain.
- Bleeding occurred after a course of radiation.
It is impossible to help yourself on your own, urgent hospitalization is required.